1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Magnum 250

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by Anonymous, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I have started using my magnum 250 exclusively as a polisher, by this I mean that I alternate my water changes on the tanks by a few days and let the magnum rotate. It cleared my 125 in less that six hours, and cleared my 90 from newly setup absurdly cloudy to crystal clear show quality water overnight. As for the 125 in six hours, to put this into perspective the filter is rate at 250 gallons an hour meaning the tank was cycles twice and hour and in six turnovers the magnum cleared the tank, unbelievable.
    250.jpg

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

:D thanks for the review on the magnum...i was debating between it and a gamma uv sterilizer (already on order). Reading your post makes me think I might want both :confused:

3. noshow discus

noshow discus New Member

oh the Mags are the ticket..i run a 350 on the big discus tank and after all water changes i use the 250H.O.T. to pollish the water with and the micron filter you just soak in a bleach solution for 24 rinse declornate and reuse.

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Okay, so my question is like this..I have the 90gallon and was wondering if the 350pro would take the tiny stuff that floats in the water that gets past the renafilstarxp4 and the emperor 400s? And do you run them all day...or is it just a few hours till the water is impeckably clear? Cuz like I thought the 350pro was a regular filter in addition to being able to polishing the water...something about filtering to 1 micron size or something? :confused:

5. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Since you already have an XP4 you should just put some fine filter pads in there. It will work just as good if not better than a Magnum 250/350.

6. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

believe it or not I did use some really fine ones (microfiltration pad)...didn't seem to do as well as I expected it to? :confused:

7. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

What micron are they ?

8. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

You know what, I'm honestly not sure?
    I tossed the last box when I put them in the filter.
    Here's a link to show you exactly which ones I'm talking about http://www.petsmart.com/product/ind...1-98CA-001422107090&mr:referralID=NA#prodTab1
    :geek: I typically use on the bottom rena filstar 20ppi foam pads, just above that Rena filstar 30ppi foam pads and above that rena filstar progressive microfiltration foam kinda like a bristly scour like pad, and on the top layer I load it with the rena filstar bio chem stars and some eheim ceramic rings.

9. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Humm, and you have them placed in your top level ?

10. noshow discus

noshow discus New Member

i run the 350 all the time and the 250 hang on back just to polish
    and far as the XP4 you need to have the water pollishing pads last before the water returns to the tank least that is what i did opn the XP3 i used before the 350 mag

11. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Really?? According to the picture it shows them going in second (meaning 2nd from the top). Maybe that's where my problem is?
    I layered mine starting TOP to Bottom like so:
    Top layer is 1/2 Rena biochem stars and 1/2 eheim ceramic rings
    next layer below the top is rena microfiltration (supposed to polish)
    the layer beneath the microf. is the rena 30ppi foam
    and the very last layer is the rena 20ppi foam

What's the best stuff to layer the filstar with in a planted tank? (they have 4 baskets to put media in)
    And how would you arrange it...from top to bottom with the suggested media?
    :confused: I'm so confused with all the options available
    Suggestions welcome folks!

12. noshow discus

noshow discus New Member

oppps mislead you got in a hurry i had the cer rings in top basket then the micro fiber pads then carbon then sponge last.
    Now for the pollishing pad i always used the on for the rena filstar xp3

13. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Okay, that sounds how mine is layered..but without the carbon (used extra foam pad instead) since the emperor 400's have plenty of carbon.