1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Mail Order Fish

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by eeyipes, Jul 14, 2008.

1. eeyipes

eeyipes Thread Starter New Member

How many of you have received live fishys in the mail? How was your experience?

I've gotten 2 batches of fish in the mail and both arrived in perfect health, have settled in well and remained healthy. All were trades from other fishkeepers met on forums. On the flip side, it seems when I get fish from the fish store they are often more likely to get ill and die shortly after bringing them home. Add in the cost of gas for the 30-40 minute trip and it's just not worth it for me anymore.

Think I'll be getting all my fish by mail from now on!

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Re: Fish in the Mail?

I've had fish shipped to me once, my Endler's. I had one fry dead but everyone else lived and is still alive to this day.

You're right, it seems much more economical now with the price of gas.

3. FiReR@T

FiReR@T New Member

When I order my Frontosa's or mbuna's I usually dont have any problems, I just ordered some Koi Angels from live aquaria? yeah what a nightmare! I think I stick with reliable breeder sorces!!! :| It is only benifical to order fish when you plan on making a large order, otherwise the shipping will kill ya!!

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

What was the problem with ordering from Live Aquaria ?

5. FiReR@T

FiReR@T New Member

Everytime Ive ordered anything from them they have either shorted me, the fish are half dead or they are full of ich. I'm not saying anything is wrong with them,just had some bad luck with them.

6. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I was tempted to try them before but was apprehensive about the quality of fish I would receive. Personally, if you can find a regular person, like us, who is selling the fish you want, you'd be much better off dealing with them.

7. FiReR@T

FiReR@T New Member

AMEN to that! I think part of the problem when dealing with a large company like that is your getting overbred fish! the quality is low and all they care about is mass producing to make a buck! I agree with you whole hearted about buying from a breeder or someone who is breeding for a hobby. I made the mistake because I'm still having a hard time finding any decent Koi Angels. When it comes to my Frontosa's or other cichlids I will only buy F-0 or F-1. Hey if anyone knows where I can find some Koi Angels please let me know I need some more!!!

8. Dox13

Dox13 Member

My HM bettas always come from a betta breeder. I have received them from Overseas and in the states and they have always been alive and in good health. I agree, it is best to buy from someone you know that will ship your fish the proper way. I have shipped my bettas before to IN and they got there fine, also to PA and they got there fine too. I always use Priority shipping and when I buy them I request then to put "HOLD FOR PICK UP" on the box and my phone number and the post office will call me when they ge there. This way they aren't out riding all over the place getting all shook up.

9. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

When I had a saltwater setup I ordered plenty from http://www.saltwaterfish.com/
    It was during the winter and very cold...but everything arrived alive and in perfect condition!

10. Wiggles92

Wiggles92 New Member

I have ordered from three online fish suppliers on multiple occasions.

I have purchased numerous fishes from Freshwater Tropical Fishes Online, http://www.freshwatertropicalfishonline.com/, and have received excellent fishes every time (three times now). I got my two West African lungfish and South American lungfish from them, and I also got my previous Florida gar, silver arowana, and three mono peacock bass from them. All of these fishes arrived safe and sound; many of them were eating soon after being introduced to their new homes. They have an excellent selection of South American fishes and numerous African and Asian fishes along with some native fishes. Their prices are some of the best that I have found although they sometimes cost a little bit more, but you get way better fish than from your average fish store. Live arrival is guaranteed with overnight shipping. If they don't have it, then they can most likely get it (within reason). Email is the preferred method of contact and is answered as promptly and politely as possible.

I ordered two pirate perch from Sachs System Aquaculture, http://www.aquaculturestore.com/, and I received one of them in great shape while the other was in pretty poor shape. In their defense, the box arrived a day or two late, so I'm pretty sure that the one started picking on the other. They have an excellent selection of native fishes. Their prices are pretty good and include USPS Priority shipping without a live arrival guarantee. Email is the preferred method of contact and is answered as promptly and politely as possible.

Lastly, I recently ordered a "Build Your Own" Reef Cleaner pack from LiveAquaria.com (Dr. Foster and Smith). I received most of the invertebrates alive minus two hermit crabs and a pistol shrimp, but I was refunded for them. I also lost some of the astrea snails and a brittle star, but those will also be refunded since they died within their two week guarantee. Everything that is still alive is great, so they are another good place to get various invertebrates and fishes. Their prices can be very high, so look for sales and other deals.

So there's a summary of my experiences with ordering fishes online that then arrive via USPS or FedEx.

EDIT: I just realized that I dug up a pretty old thread... Oops... facepalm

11. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I'd rather old threads be dug up...especially when someone can contribute to them :)

12. utsadude

utsadude New Member

My only mail orders were for shrimp and plants when I was dabbling with that.

They all arrived alive and well.

Bought off of aquabid.com