1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Male Bristlenose Pleco Appearing Extremely Bloated in Belly?

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases & Cures' started by MOD_Dawn, May 13, 2009.

1. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Thread Starter Active Member

I purchased a few albino bristlenose plecos from my lfs about a week back.
    I lost 1 of my males who was 1/2 the size of this one in the photo--when I found him he appeared bloated in the belly with dark spots on it.

Now, I have come to find another one with this strange bloated looking belly.
    This is also a Male Albino who appears to be doing well in all other aspects (swimming, eating, gnawing on driftwood)...I'd hate to lose another one.

Water has already been tested by both myself and my lfs and neither of us can find any issues or cause?

Api ph 6.0 (possibly a bit lower)
    0 ammonia
    0 nitrite
    20ppm nitrate
    gh 6.7
    kh 2.23

Partials done every Thursday at about 20-25% (this is a 90g tank)
    Filters cleaned and maint. every month (end of month)
    Prime used every time water is added
    Plant additives per directions:Flourish, Flourish Excel, Flourish Phosphorus
    Also added per directions: Big AL's Bio-Clean
    100_0020_01.jpg 100_0016_01.jpg 100_0015_00.jpg 100_0008_00.jpg 100_0001_04.jpg

2. MOD_Dawn

Welp another one died...I went from 4 on the 7th to 1 as of today.
    The only thing I noticed on the 2 of the one that died was the odd stomach bloating. The 1 that died this morning didn't have the peculiar bloating.

The one remaining is the one in the photo. I called the lfs and asked if they were having issues with the remaining ones and they said no, I asked if they were wild caught thinking parasites and they told me they were bred locally.
    After double checking my water they had no idea and the best they could do is to do the stores norm (1/2 credit of the initial cost...which is honored up to 14 days). The senior up there told me not to bother medicating the entire tank since everyone else is perfect and to just "keep and eye" on the remaining pleco.

I feel horrible since I can't think of anything to do for him (knowing his fate is probably going to be like the other albinos).

Suggestions? Anyone???

*Makes mental not to stay away from the albino plecos*

3. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Can you tell if they're pooping ?

4. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

If they are not pooping but they are eating, feed them peas that are blanched and skinless.

5. MOD_Dawn

I did the peas already, and I took a quick vid using the camera (quicktime format) and they were acting fine in all other aspects...actually in the vid I think you can see him pooping if I remember right. ((Couldn't get it to load into youtube, but then again don't know much about youtube either)).

Today he's hiding behind the emperor 400 lift tube so I can't check on him (booger)...but as of last night he was soo completely swelled that even his anus was blown outward in a bubble like shape protruding away from his body.

I've done a lil research on my own and came across a few findings where others had the same issue with the albinos (not saying the condition is normal or just prone to their coloration)...all that I read about died despite peas, starvation, and medicating. The one that made it (the article said) ...was treated with nothing & just left alone.

From what others thought-->I'm pretty close with my guessing also. *Constipation (not sure on this one..would think with the peas and green beans that it woulda fixed it even if it was)
    *Over eating (another possibility here--eatings are good in my tank)
    *Not digesting food (possibility here)
    *Parasites (thinking not since lfs said others were doing fine and they were bred locally)
    *Swollen Air (hmm...all the bellys are soft....and so is my last ones?)
    *excess fiber and lack of vegetable in diet (fed Hikari algae wafers & french cut green beans...so this can't be it)
    *Pregnancy (but these are not females...at least the last one isn't in my case),

6. MOD_Dawn

Okay, he just came out when I shook the intake tube. He's massive, his anus is completely blown out and the swelling now looks transparent like he's going to explode from their-or the belly.

I'm thinking air now due to this, however to be on the safe side I have added a few peas and french cut green beans just in case it is constipation.

7. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I would actually move them and treat them with Epsom salt. I feel like feeding them is only making it worse. With them I would only do about 1-2tbsp per 10 gallons to make sure they can handle it.

8. MOD_Dawn

I only have 1 left, no spare tank..heater..etc.
    Wondering if tossing him in a container over night with the epsom salt would work.

He keeps hanging on the back of the intake tube and bobbing at the waters surface with the tip of his nose? That's what's leading me to think its air.

If it is, do you know of anything that will work for that (will the epsom salt?)?

9. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I have seen people literally stick a needle into fish that have air in their bellies but I'm not sure how to do it.

10. MOD_Dawn

umm...I don't think I could do that (is a wuss when it comes to handling the bristlenoses). I did the epsom and put him in a container..he still looks swollen to heck and back. How long should I leave him in there?

11. LemonDiscus

I wish I could help, I feel bad for the little guy... :confused:

I have never seen this though.... at least you are trying....

12. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

If it's not air and it's constipation then he should stay in the Epsom salt for a day or more.

13. MOD_Dawn

I'm clueless, thinking it's air...he doesn't want to eat.
    He's swelled to the point that his stomach is looking transparent and he's still bobbing at the surface with just the tip of his head.

I'll try another day in the salt, but I doubt he will make it through the day at this point.

I feel terrible for him and I'm grasping at straws as you can probably tell at this point.

I've done some online browsing and have seen other photos that look exactly like what I am seeing with mine (like someone took an airpump to his belly and blew him up--just on the bottom though).

14. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I'm not sure what else to suggest. If you used 2tbps of Epsom salt in his water and he's fine I'd increase it.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Are you sure they aren't swallowing the pebbles by mistake? I know with some fish you can't have pebbles because of that but I've never own Bristlenoses so I'm probably wrong. Just thought of it as a possibility.

16. MOD_Dawn

I have eco-complete (Dirt)...and I'm pretty sure he's not eating it (has been staying near the top levels of the tank since I got him.

17. LemonDiscus

I dont think it is that either....

18. MOD_Dawn

Nice Avatar Ryan! I like it.

19. LemonDiscus

Thank you! I finally got a good side picture of a Heckel.... I have been wanting this photo for some time!!

Its the one in my 30 gallon breeder! This one is a MONSTER! The largest and most colorful of all of the wilds! The largest of all of my fish

20. MOD_Dawn

its very nice looking...I like the ?white stripes/coloration running longways.