1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Marineland C-220

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by Anthony, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Anthony

Anthony Thread Starter Active Member

I purchased the C-220 today and set it up shortly after I got home. Setup was very simple and priming was easy as well. I was very pleased to find out it did have 4 baskets for different media.

Initially the flow doesn't seem very high. It says it's 220GPH but like others, I assume that's without any media in the filter. I'm waiting to see how well it clears the water after stirring everything up. I still have my little wet/dry skimmer in the corner which I think has an output of 125GPH so I'm sure the Marineland C-220 will do the job of filtering a 30 gallon tank.

Overall so far I'm happy with the filter. I'll update this later tonight on how it seems to be filtering the tank.
    c220.jpg

2. Anthony

So it seems to be working pretty well from what I can tell with the lights out. The only thing I'm worrying about is the surface movement. Tomorrow when I have light I'll try to adjust things better.

3. irresistaple_kai

irresistaple_kai New Member

Are you getting too much movement or too little? I have a C-360 and love it - I did have to redirect the output a bit to alter the flow but my kids don't seem to mind it too much - they never really seemed to hang out near the top much any way. I would love to hear about what you decided to do though - can't wait to hear more.

4. Anthony

Too little for my liking.

It is filtering really well though. I'm extremely happy with that.

5. irresistaple_kai

irresistaple_kai New Member

Hmmmmmm - Don't know what to think about that. Mine was huge amounts of movement (it is a C360 though) until plant matter started to clog it up. LOL - if the acaras would leave the plants alone I wouldn't have that prob either though. Maybe with it newly filtering it has picked up a lot of debris you didn't think you had - just an idea. I know you take really good care of your tanks though.

After 2 weeks, I broke mine down to check on the mechanical filtering parts - the bottom tray, the filter pad at the bottom, and the polishing pad at the top. Just double check those and see how much they have picked up. The very bottom of the bottom tray really stops a lot and once that gets blocked I have noticed that flow slows down significantly.

Just some ideas - I am sure you probably already thought of. Food for thought for anyone else out there looking at these. I love mine - it has made my care routine so much easier and the price compared to some of the other multi-level canister filters was worth upgrading (to me at least). It does filter very well.

Good luck - and keep us updated.

6. Anthony

Thanks.
    I'm sure the filter pads aren't clogged. The flow was low from the very beginning of me plugging it in. I have two powerheads and a wet/dry skimmer filter in there so the flow of the filter doesn't matter THAT much.