1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Marineland Canister Filter

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by Anonymous, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I am looking into getting a marineland canister filter. Anyone have any reviews on this product?? Pros.. Cons... Suggestions.
    This would be my first canister and I know eventually I am going to have to get one. It is just a matter of time. I need one that is easy to understand and user friendly as I am completely lost when it come to the canister filter and the media in it.

Thanks ;)

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

The Marineland C-Series canister filters are supposedly really good. I'd say they're about equal with the Rena's.

3. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I have the Marineland Magnum 350 Pro System and it works great. It was given to me so it was already setup but I could see how it might be a little confusing to get going. If you go with it just make sure you close ALL the valves when you replace your media or you will have a water hose spraying all over the room. I use it on a 55G FW with 7 rainbows and 2 cats.

4. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

I run a Magnum 350 as 1 filter on my 125, before putting it on I had some floating debris, after...... clear!

IF you choose to get the Magnum 350, 1 thing: The paper filter clogs REALLY easy if you have debris BUT it is PHENOMENAL at polishing your water!

I decided to buy filter mat and stuff it into my mesh cartridge that holds your Chemical Media (I dont really use much Activated Carbon and use none on this filter)

IF you dont clean this (in my case) at least 1 time a week, it looses power due to being clogged even with me stuffing the basket with the filter foam.

5. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Yeah, I am losing faith in my 250 for the very reasons lemon just listed. I would go with a different line than the magnums, but thats just me.

6. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I don't really consider the Magnum series canister filters. Their shape is similar of course but they do not offer the media trays normal canister filters do.

7. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I agree, I prefer all my ac's and rena filter to the magnum 250 I have, but it does to a great job polishing the water.

8. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Yep, I agree.

9. PetsGoRound

PetsGoRound New Member

I love them as well.

:D

10. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I have a Hot Magnum 250 that I use on a 20 gallon. It keeps the water perfectly clear. The fish sorta float in clear air.

I like this filter because it can be used for 2 purposes. I use it with carbon with some floss stuffed around the basket for normal usage. I also have a small powerhead on undergravel for biological filtration.

The other purpose it serves is for cleaning the tank and then polishing the water. I take out the basket and put in the pleated paper filter. I stick the hose from my gravel vac onto the suction of the filter and use it to clean the gravel and maintain the UGF. Then leave the filter run for overnight and the water is sparkling. Then I change back to the normal basket.

It works for me. I also use it to polish other tanks. It is easily moved from tank to tank.

11. irresistaple_kai

irresistaple_kai New Member

Sorry I haven't been as active as I should have been.

I run a Marineland C360 and love it. It took a little for me to get it hooked up but I love cleaning it and it filters wonderfully. The only down side I have found, for me, is that I had to buy the re-fillable mesh media bags for the charcoal media. My local place doesn't carry the carbon pouches for this filter (why I don't know) but I am finding in the long run it's saving me money any way.

Not too many people I have talked to seem to give Marineland its due - I used to have a magnum and it was a great upgrade from what I had. As my time and convenience became less and less I decided I needed more from my filter so that I could have more time to enjoy my tank. Marineland isn't the top of the line but it isn't the bottom of the line either. I have gotten my dollar's worth out of it and I continue to enjoy how quiet it runs and how easy it is to maintain and unlike the Magnum line - the C series doesn't have all the valves to mess with.

I would say go for it. If you have any questions let me know - I will help if I can.

12. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

here's a helpful link on the c-series
    <a class="postlink" href="http://www.marinelandc-series.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.marinelandc-series.com/</a>