1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Marineland Emperor 400

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by LemonDiscus, Mar 15, 2009.

1. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Thread Starter Active Member

This is a VERY powerful HOB filter that gives you biowheels to keep biological filtration at all times, offers a HUGE media container that can keep the basic filter and even other things you want to add!

The flow rate on this filter is SO POWERFUL it will itself create a nice circulation of water on a 125 gallon tank. This filter often blows my plants out of the substrate if my water levels are too low and actually pushes my fish forward in the tank when full and they swim by it :)

I highly recommend this filter to anyone wanting a REALLY nice HOB! New this filter can be quite costly for a HOB but again if you can find it for a great price used it is well worth it. I got mine for $10 and LOVE it! (It did not have the lid, biowheels or filter cartridges....) The replacements for this put me down about another $30 but was well worth it. (I still dont have the cover for it but oh well)

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I've had the Emperor 400's as far back as I can recall. Great filter!

Love the fact I can toss the rengerating stuff in their to make it faster access when recharging is needed (ie. purigen).

I have it on my 90g, and it defin. provides great circulation directly in front of it...however it has yet to blow any of my substrate (eco-complete).

I've also trimmed the intake on one in the past and used it on a 15g (talk about killer filtration).

My older model that had adjustable flow was better than these new ones that no longer have this feature. Also, out of the last 4 purchased within the past year and a half for various tanks..with 2 being left...1 is already out of service for Noisy running (no impeller damage/blockage) and intermittent ?surges?

I'd much rather spend my money on the Rena Filstar line than purchasing any more Emperors. However, I love the fact that I have 1 on the tank for media convenience (open the lid and drop it in convenience without having to unplug it).

3. moreless39

moreless39 New Member

Emporer 400

I agree with Lemon on this one. I got mine last year after price drop (from about 70.00 to 40.00) and although my plants aren't blow out it is powerful and keeps water clear. Also has HUGE media container for a veried array of different types. That and the biowheels ....just can't be beat.

4. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

Re: Emporer 400

agrreed

5. jrow8162

jrow8162 Member

Re: Emporer 400

I use one in my 55 gallon. I've had it over 10 years. Its a great filter...

6. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

You make me feel nuts because I totally hated mine and threw it away.

8. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I think the original ones were good, but the newer ones WITHOUT the flow control are crap.
    Hence the difference of opinion on them.

9. California Cowgirl

California Cowgirl New Member

can't wait to use mine on my new tank, anthony suggested to buy it and you guys seem to love yours, i hope it works just as well on my sw tank as it does on your fw tanks

10. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Just make sure to prime it(have it completely full with water) before turning it on and have a a cup of water handy. Once you get it running your good to go..but to get it to initially flow can be a *bleep* at times.

11. California Cowgirl

ok, lol i'm already having to need a cup of water for my current filters. I'm wanting to put my emperor on my 20 gallon as my 20 gallons filter died on me, so right now it has a 10 gallon filter on the back. Would the emperor just be to strong on the 20, and just leave the 10 on the 20 until my new tank is all setup and ready for him to go in. I really don't want to have buy a new filter for my 20 gal to only use for a few months

12. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

your asking the wrong person>>had a 400 on a 10g and just shortened the intake tube.

Depend. on whether the puffer likes current or not (assuming you talking about his tank). ((worse case scenario...give him somewhere to hide--cave...to escape the current if it's too much)).

13. California Cowgirl

ok, i think i may keep it the 10 g filter on his current tank, although if i put the 400 on the 20 g if that will get him used to having a current cause the only "current" he's used to is from the protein skimmer and it took him a while to get used to that, so now he just avoids the area where the skimmer hits the water

14. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

really just giving him a retreat to escape from it as I already suggested.
    Some fish adjust well to current.
    Others simply just can't handle it and "get their balance" if you know what I mean.

Ex. Bettas DON'T handle strong current well.

15. California Cowgirl

okies, i hope he will adujst well to the current of the two 1200s and the filter on the 46, whenever he goes by the section of the skimmer his tail always goes down and seems to struggle a bit

16. California Cowgirl

oh yea i think his thing in his tank might be enough to let him escape from the current if i do decide to put the 400 on the back of the tank

17. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

;) Just keep an eye on him at first kiddo :cool:

18. California Cowgirl

will do, i think i may just end up keeping the 10 g filter on the 20, i don't want to stress him out to much on a tank this small, at least when he gets into the 46 the lr will give him a lot of hides from the current of the filter and 2 1200s

19. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Your soo going to have to post photos once you get everything up and running!

20. California Cowgirl

lol i will :) i get my tank this week, were' going to swap the 47 tall with the 46 bowfront at petsmart. The tank will be in the garage for a bit while i paint my room. I still don't know how i'm going to place the 90lb of lr that i plan on getting so i'd probably need aquascaping ideas for everyone :)

also i may have to wait like 2 months to even set it up cause my mom want's to get new carpet through out the house, once all the construction gets done in 2 months, and i really don't want to have to take down the tank just for replacing the carpets