1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Might move a year from now.

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by specialname, Jan 30, 2013.

1. specialname

specialname Thread Starter New Member

Being military family you are forced to choose. So before I go and do this, I need to gather some info and opinions. I run a 75 gallon with several different kinds of fish. I only have 1 I want to travel with one. A dragon fish. He/She is over 14 inches. Knowing they can get over 2 foot, I know I will need bigger. I want to see if anyone thinks it is possible to move one from Virginia to Colorado. Yes, it will be a winter move.

I had thought about getting a 10 gallon, cycle it. Use that to carry him. Put inside of a cooler to protect the glass. Have to look up ideas to keep the water warm, and aerated.

2. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

Hmm cross country moves are always difficult with larger fish, how are you traveling will you be driving? I would think that you could bag it and it would be fine if you drove straight through.

3. susankat

susankat Member

I've moved an oscar from Ca to Ok, and the easiest way I found was to get a large ice chest. Add tank water, get a battery operated bubbler and a converter to plug into cigarette lighter to plug heater in. If your going to take a couple of days driving, take a few gallon bottles of water for small changes along the way.

4. specialname

Driving straight through is not a option,1 night needed to finish. I have moved there before.
    I would be driving, we have 2 cars.
    What size of cooler? I got one on wheels, 1 of the 5 day ones. Could always use or get another. Wattage of the heater?

5. susankat

susankat Member

For big fish, I would get coolers the size so that the fish can move freely. Heater size would depend on the size of the container. If you stop at night you can always take ice chest in and plug the heater in the room.

6. specialname

Thank You for the replies, I try to have my ideas ready before any moves so they go smoother.