1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Article Minimum Recommended Tank Size for Aquatics

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by MOD_Dawn, Jun 15, 2009.

1. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Thread Starter Active Member

<a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.theexoticfish.com/freshfishreq.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">freshfishreq.php</a>

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

If you see anything you feel should be changed or would like to make any additions to the list please let Dawn or myself know.

Scientific names are currently being added to the list.

3. UncleNed

UncleNed New Member

I looked at your minimum tank size requirements
    and I would say
    on many of the species on your list
    you are way more conservative than need be

for example
    it said minimum 10 galons for a betta
    ...I would have said 1 gallon

30 gallons for a cherry barb?
    in my opinion 10 gallons is fine

Report this post

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I'm still working my way though the list checking the tank requirements. Some of them I've changed from personal experience while others I'm verifying with several sources.

There are often big debates on the appropriate size tank a betta should be housed in. Personally I do feel 10 is quite large for a single betta, others think that's the minimum they should be in. No matter what I put there, someone will always disagree. :)

With the Cherry Barbs I do agree that 30 needs to be changed.

5. MOD_Dawn

it seems the main issue at hand is someone will see that they can stick it in a 10g and go out and add about 30 other fish that are recommended for a 10g HIGHLY overstocking their tank and wonder why everything is going belly up.

I've seen people at my lfs that buy the tanks and go by the pictures on the box that show a TON of fish in an itty bitty tank>selling tactics are terrible when it comes to that!

The cherry barb defin. needs changed...I agree on that!
    The betta...the smallest I'd do is a 5g (also agree with Anthony about no matter what someone will always disagree regardless), but the main goal of the chart is to give a GENERAL idea to assist those who are trying to configure the stocking of their tank.

6. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

That's exactly what I'm worried about. I guess we need to add something to the page that points that out.

7. MOD_Dawn

would you like the honor, or do you want me to do it?

8. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

If you can think of something good to write more power to you. :)

I hate the old 1" per gallon rule but would you agree that maybe for community fish that 1" of fish per two gallons of water would work ?

9. MOD_Dawn

Here>> This reference has been provided to give you a general idea of the recommended tank sizing requirement for said species, in addition to providing you with a general idea of the ADULT size of said species.

This in no way means that we are suggesting you go out and purchase every fish that is listed for the size tank that you have. If you have stocking questions for your tank, Please ask and we will be happy to assist you!

10. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Looks good to me. What do you think about the 1" per 2 gallons ?

11. MOD_Dawn

sounds good, common sense goes a long way...but I think that would be great to give those who have absolutely no idea and are new to this...I feel that would be a fair general reference..and as I stated they can always ask for stocking assistance...the chart will give them a good idea of what they can keep in their tanks and will help them limit out quite a bit of fish (another words narrow their list)

12. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Okie dokie. :)

13. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I've got that added. I'll get the rest of the scientific names added in tomorrow morning/afternoon.

14. DanBruv

DanBruv New Member

looks good