1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Article My 13 yo sons science project

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by cooltow1, Nov 24, 2009.

1. cooltow1

cooltow1 Thread Starter Member

PURPOSE
    The purpose of this experiment was to determine the respiration rate of goldfish (Carassius auratus) in different temperatures of water.

I became interested in this idea while I was watching a show on Animal Planet that had people asking questions on their pets and one of the questions was what temperature is the best for her goldfish.

The information gained from this experiment might help people who want to own or who already own goldfish keep them healthy by knowing what temperature is best for their fish.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

HYPOTHESIS
    My hypothesis is that the warmer the water, the more rapid the respiration rate will be.

I base my hypothesis on what a fish expert from Pet Paradise said "the warmer the water the more waste they will produce because their heart beats faster, so their metabolism will work faster." I think that a faster metabolism will mean a faster respiration rate.

EXPERIMENT DESIGN
    The constants in this study were:

The same species (goldfish) (Carassius auratus)
    The same type of habitat (55 gallon fish tank)
    The same amount of food (2 tiny pinches)
    The same type of food (Tetra Min Flakes)
    The same time of feeding (7:00AM & 7:00PM)
    The same amount of time to count (1 minute)
    The same pH level of tank water
    The same amount of fish (12)
    The same fish (use same fish over again for every test)
    The same rate of increasing temperature ( 10.0°F)

The manipulated variable was temperature of the aquarium water.

The responding variable was the respiration rate of the fish.

To measure the responding variable I plan to count the number of times in one minute that they open and close their mouths and/or their gill covers.

MATERIALS

QUANTITY ITEM DESCRIPTION
    12 goldfish (Carassius auratus)
    2 dividers
    1 fish tank (55 gallons)
    20lbs. Rocks (buy at local pet store)
    1 pump
    1 heater
    1 countdown timer
    2 thermometer (that goes a high as 26.7°C & as low as 10.0°C)

PROCEDURES
    Getting Ready / Housing the Fish

1. Get the 55-gallon aquarium tank and set it in a safe area.
    2. Assemble the pump and heater
    3. Pour rocks into tank.
    4. Put 50 gallons of water into the tank.
    5. After the water is acclimated and stabilized at 21.1°C. buy the fish (Carassius auratus) and put them into the tank.
    6. Feed them a tiny pinch of food twice a day (7:00 AM and 7:00 PM).
    7. Give the fish time to get used to their new habitat before beginning the experiment.

Conducting the Experiment

1. This experiment will be conducted at four different Celsius temperatures: 10.0°, 15.6°, 21.1°, and 26.7°. These temperatures are safe for goldfish according to owners that raise goldfish. The first experimental measurement will start at the lowest temperature, 10.0°C(50.0°F). Use a small amount of ice in a plastic bag to slowly reduce the tank temperature to 10.0°C. Allow the tank to stabilize at this temperature for at least 6 hours.
    2. Using plastic tank dividers, calmly and slowly section the aquarium into three zones, with all12 of the fish gently corralled into the center "waiting " section.
    3. Carefully and calmly net one fish from the central section and move it into the end of the tank that is the "observation zone". Wait 5 minutes for the fish to become calm.
    4. Using a countdown timer for 60 seconds count the number of respirations of the fish. A respiration will be one gulping action of the mouth and gill cover. Record the data.
    5. Carefully net the fish again and move it into the third section of the tank where the fish that are "done" with the current test will stay.
    6. Repeat steps 3-5 for all remaining fish.
    7. Remove the dividers.
    8. Slowly increase the tank temperature by 10°F. This will take about 1 day because it must be done slowly. Allow the tank to stabilize at this temperature for at least 6 hours.
    9. Repeat steps 2-7 at the new temperature.
    10. Repeat steps 8 and 9 at 21.1°C and 26.7°C.

RESULTS
    The original purpose of this experiment was to determine the respiration rate of goldfish in different temperatures of water.

The results of the experiment were all the fish’s respiration rates were very similar. They were unbelievably accurate and clear.

See the table and graph.

CONCLUSION

My hypothesis was that the warmer the water the more rapid the respiration rate will be.

The results indicate that this hypothesis should be accepted

Because of the results of this experiment, I wonder if I had used different temperatures that were spread farther apart what the data would look like?

If I were to conduct this project again I would have used higher temperatures because 10.0 degrees Celsius is just too low.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have to give him credit for designing this project with very little help from me and with what he knew and had on hand

Rick

2. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

hmm... intresting but was the tank cycled? also i noticed fish tend to breathe faster when their stressed and stress changes but i think the out come it true cause after all goldfish do hibernate over the winter. and i see you're planning on getting them in the hobby while their still young [rofl]

3. cooltow1

cooltow1 Thread Starter Member

The filter were air driven sponges that were fully mature from established aquariums. We took great care to try to avoid stressing the fish
    Also 50.0°F is about the temperature were goldfish became dormant, this is the temperature I recommend that owners should stop feeding in the winter

Rick
    105.jpg

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Omg! I love the lil one in training...sooo cute!