1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

My 45 gal dream!!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by san_sam, May 11, 2010.

1. san_sam

san_sam Thread Starter New Member

Ok.. All the messy job is done and everything has been fixed.. Here are the few pictures of the setup guys.. :D Hey Dawn I have made the filter sit with a glass frame.. :D
    11052010185.jpg 11052010181.jpg 11052010183.jpg 11052010187.jpg 11052010186.jpg

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

nice! glad to hear the filter dilemma has been finally solved! (that's one weird looking filter system...sorry, but where I'm at I've never seen anything like the hose dumping water into the box).

Where's the water return (that returns the clean water back into the tank)?? (you may want to put your heater just beneath it so it can circulate your heat throughout the tank).

Oh, and in the last photo (I believe its your intake)..you can always kinda hide that with fake/real plants that are tall :)

3. san_sam

LoL!! I know Dawn.. It is totally weird.. I have searched everywhere and didn't find any videos or article about this filter that would be helpful.. I found nothing.. LOL.. Let me give it a try.. The picture below the heater is the water return tube picture..:D.. I am planning on having plants once when I get used to the tank.. :D Hey Dawn.. I have a question.. I will be siphoning my gravel once in a week and will be doing 20% water change too.. Will there be any necessity to take off all the water and gravel and clean in it in once in a month cleaning or something because I did that with my 5gal. And when should I clean the filter? :)

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

nooo, leave the gravel in there...simply siphon it when your doing your partials/water changes.

Filter media should be replaced every 1-2 weeks depending on what your using and how dirty it is.

Prefilter (sponges) should be squeezed into the tank BEFORE doing the partial so you don't loose benef. bacteria (I don't believe you have a prefilter, but in case you planned on adding one I thought I'd toss that note in about them).

Filter should be maint. (thorougly wiped out/cleaned) monthly (rings/seals checked/replaced dependant upon equip used and manufacture ).

5. nossie

nossie Member

Awesome! Can't wait to see this full with plants and fish! ;D

And I'd like to add that this tank is so big, that you don't need to, and rather shouldn't empty the whole tank and clean it out. At most once a year or so, that's what my mom does with her 23 gallon, and with the weekly water changes, it's working perfectly that way ;)
    Clean the gravel in old tank water to make sure that the beneficial bacteria are alright! And try saving a few buckets of the old water (less than half though) just in case C:

6. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

looking really good...

7. san_sam

Got it Dawn! Will not disturb the gravel..:D I am not going to have a prefilter as of now.. :) The filter media I am using right now is a kinda cotton filter bed.. Cleaning it once in 1-2 weeks and keeping it back during the gravel siphoning will be fine right.. :D Yeah the filter I will clean it once in a month.. :)

8. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

yep, you got it! the cotton will probably be able to be rinsed and put back in depending on how dirty it gets (at least once)...then you'll simply need to toss it and replace with new (you can use the polyester stuff I told you about in the other thread--wal-mart Morning Glory Premium Fiber Fill Polyester--very cheap).

9. san_sam

Sure Dawn.. :D Thank u.. I have put the fishes in.. I almost lost my black moor last night. I had to put them all in a bucket with air supply till the tank is ready. The bucket got dirty because of the food because they don't eat much unless they are in a tank. They are so stubborn.. :p Then I saw my moor swimming out of control. I got freaked out and didn't know wat to do. I decided to shift them to the tank and as soon as I put them the boy was fine and started playing with the air bubbles. I haven't fixed the lights yet. So he is totally invisible in the evenings since the gravel is black.. :D

10. san_sam

Thank you nossie.. :D

11. san_sam

Yeah buzz.. Will post the pictures with the fishes soon.. :D

12. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

maybe lack of oxygen/room..or possibly temperature issue/fluct.
    I'm glad to hear they're doing well in the new tank...keep an eye on your readings (especially since your not cycled yet). If you can find Tetra SafeStart I suggest tossing a bottle of that in (according to bottle).

13. san_sam

I will get a pack when I go for buying some fishes tomorrow or the day after. I haven't switched the filter on yet because I don't have a junction to connect it.. Can I switch is on when I want to. I am going to set the temperature of 75.2 Fahrenheit. The fishes will be fine if I switch it on later right.. I am planning on getting some adolfo's cory cats.. Is there any other small peaceful fish? I like rummy nose tetra but the man from the pet shop says they will attack the goldies.. My mum wants to have angels. Will they be okay.. :D

14. san_sam

Sorry sorry.. not filters.. heaters..

15. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

tetra safestart is a bottle--> <a class="postlink" href="http://www.tetra-fish.com/sites/tetrafish/catalog/productdetail.aspx?id=1276&cid=3582" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.tetra-fish.com/sites/tetrafi ... 6&cid=3582</a>

Junction? (I'm guessing you mean a power strip/outlet).

And yes, they'll be fine if you switch the filter on later...just make sure your running an airstone for them.

as far as switching the heater on later...it depends on what the waters current temp is.

goldfish are a cool/cold water species so you have to be careful what you mix with them, they truly are better as a species only tank though in all honesty.
    Here's some things that are compatible with goldfish:
    [*]weather loach
    [*]Hillstream/Butterfly Loaches
    [*]Chinese Algae Eaters
    [*]corydoras
    [*]bristlenose pleco
    [*]rubbernose pleco
    [*]Apple/Mystery Snails
    [*]white cloud minnow (if you having adequate hiding, but realize when the goldfish come of size they will be eaten..the minnow that is).

A big no on the rummynose (that's a tropical and needs warm water as such).

16. san_sam

The tetra safestart is quite cheap here.. Will get it then.. Yeah I meant the outlet. lol I am just going to stick onto some goldies and corydoras. :D I wish I could get apple snails here. I used to have them when I started having fishes when I was in my native town. :D I have a old 5gallon though. I could set up a tropical environment there and have some white cloud minnow and rummynose's.. :D

17. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

minimum tank size for a rummynose is 10g...they need room to swim back and forth.
    with a 5g I'd use it for inverts (cherry shrimp, crystal shrimp...or possibly a betta....that would be a cute planted tank too with maybe some 4 leaf clover).

18. WhiteGloveAquatics

WhiteGloveAquatics New Member

ok, nice filter. now that I can see it running its an in-tank wet/dry.

19. nossie

nossie Member

Don't put any plecos with your goldfish, please! :C
    The plecos might end up eating the protective slime coat on the goldfish while they sleep, which would lead to all kinds of infections!
    I've of course heard of lots of people keeping plecos with their goldies, but not without taking the risk of the plecos changing their diet! So whenever you might notice any strange wounds on your goldfish, remove the plecos right away.

20. san_sam

Thank you Nossie.. I will not be getting a pleco anyway because they remind me of lizards :p I am only going to get some corydoras..