1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

My Angelfish Spawn Log

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by LemonDiscus, Mar 3, 2009.

1. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Thread Starter Active Member

My previous pair were before eating their eggs at wiggler stage. That was a relatively new development. I removed the female and put my 2nd female in there that has previously spawned with the male (he spawned with both and I selected the first female, as did the male prefer her). The new/current female had previously been an egg eater with the 2 spawns she had with the male. That is part of the reason I paired him with the other one (the one you see in the video - angelfish tending their eggs in aquarium. The one I paired him with now IS NOT that female in the video but the one that lived in the Discus tank for the past several months by herself.

They have been together now for a week now. I have fed them a large amount of Live Blackworms to promote spawn in addition to their normal flake/granule diet. I also raised the temp from 80-84.

After coming home from work today there are about 700 eggs on the leaf! The leaf is covered top to bottom in eggs! They are most likely fertile as both Angels are tending them!

We will see now if this female is still an egg eater like she was a while back ago... the one that is with the male now is the one that this thread was started about. She tended those sterile eggs so she may tend the fertile ones too!

I will keep you all posted on this :D <~~~~More Cardinal Tetras to come I hope!!!!!

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Wow 700 eggs is a lot ! Hopefully she won't eat them or the fry.

3. LemonDiscus

Agreed, picture one of your larger sword plant leaves COVERED in eggs.... that is what happened. 4x bigger than the other females biggest spawn!

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

The more I read about your Angels the more I want to get a breeding pair. :) You're a bad influence. :p

5. LemonDiscus

They are fun! :) The funny part is I really dont like Angels... I hope it teaches me about Discus.

The one Angel I do like: Altum Angelfish
    afarm1.static.flickr.com_177_385430986_1c18fcfd66.jpg_a4f0a23c50a330cf1bf56cae6c33a893.jpg

And leave it to me, it IS the most difficult Angelfish to keep! :)

6. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

7. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

mines eat all the eggs

8. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

My favorite have always been the Koi Angels.

9. LemonDiscus

They are nice too but VERY hybridized. Altum Angels are a pure strain of Angels, actually of a slightly different genus than the normal ones:
    Pterophyllum - Angelfish generic genus

Pterophyllum Altum - Altum Angelfish
    Pterophyllum Leopoldi - Also known as a teardrop Angel... or a Dwarf Angelfish
    Pterophyllum Scalare - Common Angelfish (what mine are) and have different color strains from over keeping (Marbles, Half Black, Silver (closest to wild), Red, Koi and TONS of others)