1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

My Auratus has changed color?

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by stephaniebray, Sep 10, 2009.

1. stephaniebray

stephaniebray Thread Starter New Member

My auratus had turned from the normal yellow/white/black stripes on top and yellow belly to completely black on the bottom and very faint striping on the top. The change was over night! I have done nothing to the tank, with the exception of normal weekly water changes and have not recently added any new fish. Is this normal and is the little guy ok?

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

if I'm not mistaken black is a sign of stress/illness.
    What's your water readings?
    Ph
    Ammonia
    Nitrite
    Nitrate
    Temp of water (does it fluctuate)?
    How long has this tank been up and running?
    Do you add anything to the water (dechlorinator, salt, etc)?
    How often are you doing partials and in what amount (are you adding dechlorinator BEFORE adding new water?)
    What size is the tank and who are his tank mates?

3. stephaniebray

Ph- 8.2 (on the high side, but my research says they like it like that)
    Ammonia-0
    Nitrite-0
    Nitrate-30ppm
    Temp of water (does it fluctuate)?- a steady 78-80 degrees
    How long has this tank been up and running?- its been up for about 8 months
    Do you add anything to the water (dechlorinator, salt, etc)? i do add dechlorinator in each bucket as I refill the tank, and i also add seachem cichlid salt, but i have been adding it from the begining. The auratus was one of my first cichlids, i haven't added any new ones in over 2 months. There are about 15 of them (all assorted africans) in a 55 gal. (I also have a 6 inch pleco in there) I change 10-20% of the water every 2 weeks.

4. stephaniebray

All of the other ones seem fine and normal.

5. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

amazed your nitrates are only 30ppm!
    I'd suggest doing 25% water change weekly which should defin. keep the nitrates lower (betting they are higher after the 1 week point).

As for the important aspect..the fish I did some research of my own and contacted a buddy of my mine at my local lfs...he stated it sounds like this is a male and they normally turn/changed to more of a black coloration.
    The females he said are yellow and STAY that color and do not change.

He said that the males will also blacken to show aggression/dominance and mentioned something about claiming territory.
    He said these are nasty tempered fish and are difficult to keep once they become of size.

If he's acting normal/healthy I wouldn't worry. I assumed the black was always a sign of stress/illness...but I learned I was wrong and that this particular fish it is more of a dominance thing.

6. stephaniebray

Thanks, I will start changing a higher % of water. my water is crystal clear, so i just assumed i didnt need to change more. I also have 2 filters running on that tank. He had been being a bit more aggressive than normal, he dug out a hole by a rock and lurks under there and doesn't let anyone near his crevace. He is about 3.5 inches, what is full grown length?

7. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

males about 4" and females just under 4"

8. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

i agree.. ;) also their colors (males) may not always be just black, could be a very darkblue to purple, even seen some that were kind of dark brownish.

9. Coach T

Coach T New Member

Dommiant males turn brown that is a fact. :D :D

10. gsoul55

gsoul55 New Member

It is a male.

11. mymustang

mymustang New Member

Males will and do change color for dominance reasons. Bumble Bee's and a few other will do the same thing. Rule of thumb with Cichlids ..... 1 male for every 4 females!