1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

My bettas

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by matrixmommy, Feb 7, 2009.

1. matrixmommy

matrixmommy Thread Starter New Member

Al is the red and blue crowntail in the foreground...and Edward is the one in the background. I couldn't get a better pic of Edward 'cuz of the shape of his temporary bowl, but any guesses on what color he is? A friend of mine with fish said he looks like a veiltail yellow with heavy color. Any thoughts?
    ai273.photobucket.com_albums_jj220_matrixmommy229_SANY0434.jpg
    Also, here's a pic of my Eclipse Hex5 that I am transferring Al to (as soon as it's done cycling). I know it's a crappy pic and you can hardly see the tank, but I forgot to get a closer pic. :p It's above the couch on the right of the photo...at least it gives you a general idea of what it looks like. Can't wait to add live plants!
    ai273.photobucket.com_albums_jj220_matrixmommy229_SANY0438.jpg

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Its so tiny!

3. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

It is isn't it? Our tanks use up a wall each :)

Honestly, they make Corner Bow Fronts that would look AWESOME where that one is now. They have them up to like 90 gallons. There is one they have at my pet store down the road and it is beautiful!

4. matrixmommy

As much as I would love to have bigger tanks 1-I don't have the room for them and 2-I don't have the money to buy or maintain them properly. :p

5. LemonDiscus

That tank (corner bowfront) would fit in that "dead space" where you keep the hex perfectly. They at 90 gallons are not large really. Due to how far back they go from the front of the bow to the back corner, they get large amounts of volume in a small space.

As for the price, they are expensive so..

6. matrixmommy

Yep...then it becomes more a question of price than anything else. I found three really nice tanks (one of which was a 25 gallon bowfront) with all accessories for really cheap. They had a 10 gallon for $20, a 15 gallon for $35 (it had more fish and accessories than the 10 gallon did, hence the much higher price compared to the size difference) and a 25 gallon for $50. It was a major want for me, but I can't right now. Ugh!!

7. LemonDiscus

I would still go for a corner tank if I were you... again they are like $100 or so... worth saving for though as it would enhance that room 10 fold.

8. matrixmommy

Hopefully once I get a job and such I can start saving or one. You're right, it would look awesome there. Some things I do have to consider, though, are the facts that this isn't my house (it's my brother's, I'm just renting it from my parents until he gets out of prison in four years at which time he either kicks me out or lets me rent from him) and it's a mobile home with not-very-good subflooring. My piano is okay in the living room because it's on an outside wall that has better support and it's actually not that heavy (it's not a full-sized piano, but a cocktail piano). The corner in question is located at the juncture of two outside walls, but I honestly don't know if the subflooring could support as muich weight as a large tank like that would require...unless you're talking about a smaller corner tank than the 90 gallon that you mentioned...then it would probably be okay. :p

9. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

90 gallons really aint that big,, Our local pet store has it,, I dont have any place in my own room I'll just whine for my parents to put it down iin the living room once I get my job in april (finnaly i've got the age for a decent job :) ) and saved enough money,, :)

10. matrixmommy

I have a 25 gallon Eclipse tank that I just got. It's gonna have black mollies (and maybe a couple of dalmatian or silver mollies...depends on what my son wants since they'll be "his") and four or five female bettas. Gotta get my taxes back before I can really set it up though.

11. Amante_di_Betta

Amante_di_Betta New Member

If you just purchased your betta, chances are hes stressed. I've purchased many bettas that are pale colored and in a few weeks time they become vibrant. Its something about proper care after leaving a petstore and the cup *cringe* that does it. It will be hard to say until he perks up..

12. matrixmommy

Unfortunately, Edward (the copper veiltail) passed away a couple of weeks ago. I was very sad. He was doing fine until the pilot light went out on my heater and we without heat for a night. He spent the night with my two other (new at the time) male bettas in a little group in their one gallon bowls/tanks in front of the space heater that I alternated turning on and off, making sure their water temp didn't change too much. The other two (a cellophane veiltail and a crimson veiltail) are doing great...in fact, they're better than they were when I got them. I also got two new females, a dark blue and a turquoise. What I'm looking for is a crimson female, but I can't find one in the pet stores. Grr!

13. Amante_di_Betta

Amante_di_Betta New Member

Very sorry to hear that. I had to perform surgery on Crash, a red and blue veiltail betta the other day. I had to use a 28 gague needle to pop an air bubble in his gut. Hes not fine as fine can be :) Ill be on the look out for you and Ill be back to breeding in about 2-3 weeks.

14. matrixmommy

I think there's a disconnect between the pet stores near me and the betta breeders. I just had a friend from Seattle on another forum tell me that there are TONS of crimson females at the Petco near her. Gah! LOL! I saw a pic of a beautiful steel-colored female today...but I've never seen one in real life.

15. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

Maybe thats overstocking it a bit. You should be carefull with those bettas and mollies though

16. matrixmommy

4 female bettas and 5 mollies in a 25 gallon tank is overstocking? Hadn't heard that before...most fish people I've talked to have said that's just about right for that size of tank.

17. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

Well yes that seems fine but you didnt say numbers of mollies :) I thought you were doing 5 females and like 15 mollies.. Thats a bit much concidering they are big baby makers (the mollies)

18. matrixmommy

Hehe...sorry! Thought I had specified how many mollies I was going to do earlier. I'm hoping the people at that pet stores can tell the difference between male and female mollies 'cuz I don't want babies. I'm hoping to get all female black mollies...and maybe one female dalmatian mollie (no more than 5 total mollies, though, regardless of their coloring).

19. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

Most should be able to, The're finnage is different from males. I have a mollie, I can take a picture from it if you want :) (I love taking pictures so its no effort ;) )

20. matrixmommy

That'd be great! Thanks!