1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

My convict laid eggs!!

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by stephaniebray, Sep 15, 2009.

1. stephaniebray

stephaniebray Thread Starter New Member

The pair has only been together less than two weeks, and eggs already!! I'm very excited about this and to learn from the process. Any info or tips you guys could give me would be great. I attatched a pic of my convict fish's eggs ...sorry about the clarity of the picture, i had to zoom in quite a bit, Daddy doesn't like me getting too close to the tank. :D

2. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Congrats! I do SA/CA Cichlids but NO experience with convicts here... I wont even start to give advice about fish I dont know about :)

3. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

congrats.. :D the only advise i can give is if there is other tankmate keep a close eye on them. convicts get really aggressive when garding their eggs, they've been known to "take out" others that are much larger than them. they also reproduce like rabbits, so if you don't want to end up with hundreds of these, i would suggest seperating them after this round.

4. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

well convicts don't just beat up the oscars that are 2x their size. The male would sometime beat up the female to so keep a eye out for her and yes convicts do breed a lot so i would recommend using them as feeders it would be better if you can give it away but very little lfs even accept free convicts around here

5. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

congrats on the eggs :)

6. drazzill

drazzill New Member

congratz, enjoy watching them grow