1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

My Discus have spawned!

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by sianixx, Nov 6, 2009.

1. sianixx

sianixx Thread Starter New Member

Hi,
    I noticed last week that my breeding pair of discus had spawned. :eek: Today they are at wriggler stage. It is amazing how attentive the parents are taking it in turns watching over them. I would say about 50 hatched but there could be more. I am doing a 5 % water change every day. Any advice at this stage will be much appreciated. ;)

2. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Wait a few days... they should go free swimming and feed to the parents... when they start free swimming or the day before TURN OFF YOUR FILTER AND ANY AND ALL AIR! This distracts the fry from finding the parents... also lowering the water in the tank at free swimmer stage to the height of the parents makes it easier for the fry to find the parents...

They should feed off of them for a few days and then you should introduce some baby brine shrimp.... once eating remove the babies or the parents (about 1 or 2 weeks) and continue...

MUCH more to it than that but I am strapped for time so I will get back with more when you get to that point....