1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

my jacks.

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by fisherman, Feb 22, 2011.

1. fisherman

fisherman Thread Starter New Member

so i recently bought 2 Jack Dempsy's , a clown knife ,and a marble pleco. I'm sure they will get along good due to the fact i had done this b4. what I'm wondering is how soon can you tell the difference between the males and female jacks.

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

not sure exactly when they can be sexed but DO know from past experience with them that the males are larger and more colorful than the females. Books state that they also have longer fins than the females (although that particular point I do not recall when I kept a pair).

3. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

Males will often be larger, more aggressive, and have pointed dorsal fins. The dead give-away though is the gill plate. Males will have little or no spangling on the lower portion of their gill plate. Any spangling that they do display is usually pretty uniform in shape, dots.
    Females will usually be smaller, and less colorful in general. Their dorsal fin is usually not extended or pointed. Again the dead give-away is on the gill plate. Females will typically have heavy splotchy, spangling on the lower portion of their gill plate.

4. heatherine

heatherine Member

How big is your tank?

5. fisherman

60 gallon tank with 4 jacks for now until I can tell them apart

6. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I see a tank upgrade in your VERY near future :)

7. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

if you can put up some pics i'm sure we can help with determine the number of males/females you may have.

8. fisherman

Ill try to get some picks on today but they're still small and like hiding