1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

My new 29 gallon Reef

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by Lanvin87, May 18, 2010.

1. Lanvin87

Lanvin87 Thread Starter New Member

I just purchased a new 29 gallon tank and starting my first reef tank. All the tips will be appreciated because I am a beginner. Here is the list what I got already:
    29 gallon glass tank.
    Live rock(about 17 lbs only yet),
    20lbs Bio active live aragonite(live sand) and mixed with 10lbs regular sand.
    Aqueon power filter 50 for now to start circulating the water and cycling.
    Also I got heater 150 W and electronic thermometer,
    Hydrometer and an API Saltwater Master Test Kit.
    The bill is huge already. I know I need powerheads and protein skimmer very soon. The water is blurry yet here is the picture.(sorry for bad quality-done with my iphone).
    My salinuty is 1.022(want to make it 1.024, didnt have enough salt, will buy tomorrow).
    Temperature is 77.
    I think this is a good start for cycling?!
    Please let me know If I am good so far or missing something, any suggestions and tips are needed:)

securedownload[1].jpg

2. kbekl

kbekl New Member

hi mate i would look to get a refractomete instead of the hydrometer as these are not very accurate or you could look at a salinity probe

the cloudyness should clear in the tank you also want to look at arround 25-40 times the flows dependant on corals if any that you are wanting

the api test kit is also not the best have a look at salifert when funds allow

but other than that tank is look good and nice to see you on the darkside

3. Lanvin87

I will definately buy a refractometer later, but I was thinking If I keep the salinity level on 1.024 with my hydrometer, even if it shows not very correct, in the worst case the real numbers may be 1.022 or 1.026(isnt it still optimal salinity level for the reef tank?
    The cloudiness is much less now, I can even see the wall behind the tank.
    And BTW could you guys recommend me a good powerhead for 29gallon?(not the most expensive ones pls:) Or maybe I need more than one.

The API kit will be refunded tomorrow-I paid $49 at Petco in Manhattan, while the same kit is just $17 on ebay.

Thanks kbelk :)
    btw do I need a protein skimmer right now when the tank is cycling or I can add later(no Idea what skimmers are the best for my tank).

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

SALINITY:
    you want the salinity to be as steady as possible (think the same as Ph).

POWERHEAD:
    The Hydor Koralia's are supposed to be good, I used Maxi-jets that I got brand new for next to nothing on Ebay and plugged them into my red sea wave maker pro :)

PROTEIN SKIMMER:
    if you have enough live rock you can get away without a protein skimmer, although they are defin a nice piece of equip to have ime.

TEST KITS & SUCH: Always look online..ebay, petco, etc and take advantage of coupon codes and click through programs such as bigcrumbs to save more money..the lfs are almost ALWAYS more expensive!

5. Lanvin87

Thanks MOD
    Should I get one Koralia 1200GPH or two but less stronger?
    I am planning to get 40lbs live rock, is that enough?

6. kbekl

kbekl New Member

you are looking at 725 gph or 2800lph as a min you will want to use 2 or more powerheads as this will give you a nice flow patterns in the tank

reason for the refractometer is a freind was using a hydro and he was aiming at 1.025 and found that he was actually at 1.030 when he bought the refractor

powerheads
    sunsun, boyu wavemakers are very cheap the sunsuns are made by the same company as the korallia's but are £7 each instead of £30 odd

but the list is endless their are the korallias and the tunze'z also vortecs if you dont want too many wires in the tank

7. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

as far as live rock, as much as you can fit or want.

8. Lanvin87

Thanks kbelk, so koralia has 850 gph(or sunsun if it is cheap), 2 of this will be fine, right? Koralia #4 is 1200gph, is this going to be too powerful for 29 gal?

Refractometers are always so expensive or I am looking wrong ones?

9. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I'm just curious but are you sure that's a 29 gallon and not a 20 ? The reason i ask is because in the picture it doesn't look tall enough to be a 29.

10. Lanvin87

[/quote]

Thanks MOD, very helpful article, but I dont know anything about all these different types of live rock. I got 2 different types of lr at PETCO, white ones(dont remember the name) and red ones(Fiji lr). Do I need any other types of lr or it really doesnt matter?
    BTW at PETCO I have purchased medium size rocks(4-5lbs each) for $19, Isnt it a good price for cured lr?

11. Lanvin87

I will post a new pic later today when i get home so you can see my lr in finally clear water:)

12. Lanvin87

It is Aqueon-29, Not that tall but long. 30x12x18"

13. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Oh okay. I've never seen one with those dimensions.

14. kbekl

kbekl New Member

to be honest i would look at 2 sunsun wave makers both at 3000lph altho these are 54x the volume all these type of power heads have a wide flow so it isnt as powerfull as you would think

in mine which is arround 120usg i have
    2x 1100lph
    1x 1800lph
    1x 900lph
    2x 3800lph
    1x 15000lph (although this is a wave maker)

and my 3000lph return from sump
    which equates to 7265 gallon per hour which is arround 68x the volume

flows is your best freind

here are the sunsun type
    <a class="postlink" href="http://cgi.ebay.com/Sunsun-Power-Head-Wave-Maker-Cups-Holder-3000-Litres-/270461272943?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ef8bf836f" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://cgi.ebay.com/Sunsun-Power-Head-W ... 3ef8bf836f</a>

15. Lanvin87

Do I undersand the difference between powerheads and wavemakers right? powerheads circulate and flow water and wavemakers do the same thing but thru making waves?

16. kbekl

kbekl New Member

they are the same thing bu true wave makers are controlled with on and off or with alternate speed cycles

other than that they are the same and do the same job

17. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I've never known petco to carry cured live rock...must be something new? Was this rock in water when you bought it?

ps. this article from foster and smith will help you with the differences between types of live rock in addition to providing photos.

18. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

The PetCo near where I lived in MA had a pretty extensive saltwater section and carried a lot of live rock.

19. Lanvin87

I bough another Fiji LR today, sure they are in the water, right in the tanks where their fish is(and also another huge tank where only lr is) and I chose the one that has lots of green staff on it, thought will be better for my cycling. The guy told me that this rock was in there almost a year lol

Here is a new pic with cleaner water
    securedownload[1].jpg

20. Lanvin87

Guus, what do you think about one on ebay?