1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

My new 29 gallon Reef

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by Lanvin87, May 18, 2010.

1. nossie

nossie Member

The temperature's okay, I've noticed lots of people worrying about temps being too high for goldfish for example, if it's around 26-28 degrees Celsius, but it's better that the temp is constant (same as with pH) since most fish can handle it just fine! :D

2. Lanvin87

Lanvin87 Thread Starter New Member

What about corals? I am planning to add some corals later. Is tha fine with them too?

3. nossie

nossie Member

I'm pretty sure! The corals shouldn't be any more sensitive than the fish, since the corals (as far as I've seen) have been added before the fish, while the tank was still cycling.

4. Lanvin87

Wow I have always thought thet corals are more fragile than fish. Well I guess they are more sensitive to the light(they need it a lot).

5. nossie

nossie Member

I was looking a bit at some different invertebrates in one of my books now, it seems that sponges, anemones and corals prefer a temperature around 77-79 Fahrenheit, and they need plenty of space in between eachother so they won't burn/kill eachother with their tentacles, and so that they'll grow well. And like you said, they need good lightning for their photosynthesis, but I think yours is just fine! I can't see anything about them being particularly sensitive, but you should consider their placement well, and make sure that the rocks you place them on are steady so they won't be hurt, and also, be certain to put them somewhere where the circulation in the tank is good so that they'll get their share of food :)

6. Lanvin87

I got my first corals:) 3 tiny ones: 1 red mashroom, 2 polyp caloniess(green and brown). They are very tiny but I hope they will grow well. Anybody can reccomend me some additives that helps the corals to be healthy and grow well please?( i guess iodine and maybe kalkwasser? because my ph level is 7.8 only)
    I got also a cleaner shrimp and a peppermint shrimp(he ate the aiptasia right away and all its babies around!-they are the best against aipasia!!!)
    Some of my live rocks that are on top are grown with green algae(because of lighting probably) but I added 5-6 hermit crabs and also snails-i hope they will clean it.
    Pictures will be soon:)

7. Lanvin87

Here are some new pics!
    1..jpg 2..jpg 3..jpg 4..jpg 5..jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg

8. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Looks very nice so far !

9. Lanvin87

...except the green algae on my rocks:)
    Thanks Anthony!

10. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Oh that's just snail and shrimp food. LoL

11. nossie

nossie Member

It's gorgeous! I'm so happy that you got this far and it looks this good! :)

Hey, don't mind the algae, green algae show that the water's good ;) And the fish love eating it ;)

12. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

looking great!
    gotta keep this updated...I love seeing the picts :)

ps. are the clowns eating any better for you?

13. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

looking really good !

14. Lanvin87

Thanks buzz!:)

15. Lanvin87

I've purchased a rena xp3 filter couple of days ago on ebay...Today I have received a message from the seller that he mistakenly shipped out an XP4 instead of xp3 and that I can keep it since it's his mistake:)..... I hope it will work properly so I will keep it:)

16. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

wow, lucky you.
    You'll love the xp4...I'm running 2 on my 90g.
    Maint. is a breeze!

17. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

What a great mistake, LoL

18. Lanvin87

Hahahah...I was thinking the same:)

19. Lanvin87

Isnt it too big? My living room is small lol I am thinking to put it inside of the drawer chest that I am using as an aquarium stand....(I will need to remove the bottom parts of the drawer boxes).

20. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

yea, it's beasty...mine fits inside my aquarium stand (store bought stand I got at Petsmart a couple years back).
    This is the stand mine are in Aquarium Stand

• one xp4 behind each door
    • a slim metal cd basket alongside the 1 canister to the right holds my chemicals/nets (mesh part in ziploc open bag)
    • and just in front of the 1 filter is a specimen container that holds odds n' ends (planter tool attachments, spiraly things for feeding cucumbers, attachments for my cleaning wand)

the top open shelf has a powerstrip and rena air pump...and a picture frame to hide it all. (I drilled a round hole just big enough to allow the plugs to reach the power strip) :D

and shelf below holds food in s round tub and 1 tall lock & lock container

If memory serves I paid like $99.00