1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

My new 29 gallon Reef

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by Lanvin87, May 18, 2010.

1. Lanvin87

Lanvin87 Thread Starter New Member

Great job!:)
    I am using this one from Ikea
    Fits to my 29 gallon perfectly!
    I have some space behind...if not enough I will just remove(or cut half) each drawer box's bottom part(they are easy removable). and put it inside.

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

if it's not a good bit of space behind you may have to cut several of the drawer bottoms...which may cause issues with the stands stability. Be careful with that! I'd hate to hear that your stand swayed and the tank went crashing.

3. Lanvin87

Rena Filstar XP4 - Aquarium Filtration System
    (measurements included in there).

if it's not a good bit of space behind you may have to cut several of the drawer bottoms...which may cause issues with the stands stability. Be careful with that! I'd hate to hear that your stand swayed and the tank went crashing.[/quote]
    Hahaha that would be a funny story lol I mean an awful experiment!:)
    but I took out all the boxes and stand looks stabile...

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2014
  4. Lanvin87

I have red algae on my sand and rocks. Not sure if this is the coralline algae? But why on the sand....? And also coralline algea is usually hard....
    Here is the pic.
    securedownload[1].jpg

5. Lanvin87

I turned on the tank light today and was shocked! there was a "dead" cleaner skunk shrimp in my tank! But my only cleaner skunk shrimp was alive and active. And I realized that it has changed its skin....I never seen this before:)
    Here is the pic!
    securedownload[1].jpg

6. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

get used to the shrimp shedding the exoskeleton & don't remove it (something about them feeding on it to get calcium, or at least that's what I was told by my lfs when I had them).

I'm with ya on the thinking it was dead...had the same experience with cleaner shrimp and was shocked at how it was almost an exact replica of the living cleaner shrimp.

7. Lanvin87

My tank's water temperature is getting 88-90* during the day because the room is not air conditioned and plus lighting. Is it ott high and what would you recommend for this guys? A fan will work or not?

8. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

It is a little high. A fan blowing across the water surface will help cool it down.

9. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

2nd the fan across the water surface..they have many different models depending on what you need.
    <a class="postlink" href="http://www.google.com/products?rlz=1T4GGLL_enUS382US382&q=aquarium+fans&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=VHcpTIvtG4eglAf6_5C7Aw&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CC8QrQQwAA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.google.com/products?rlz=1T4G ... CC8QrQQwAA</a>
    If your lucky enough to have a high enough stand nearby you can even use a box fan or simply put a piece of eggcrate and use one of the battery operated pet fans that can be angled.

10. Lanvin87

I sometimes put a regular fan towards the tank...but I have a glass hood on my tank, which helps not to vaporize the water and also keeps PH level high(its 7.8-8 now). So I guess I have to get rid of the hood and put a small fan between my light fixtures(to blow the water surface)....the tank water will be half full at the end of the day!? lol.....anyway thanks guys for your tips!

11. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

The hood shouldn't be doing anything to the pH, on or off your water chemistry should be the same.

12. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

Just watch the evaporation that can change the salinity level. The fun if owning a tank in the summer. I have 2 open top tanks a 10 and 55 the 10 I have to refill every day the 55 10gals every other day. Since getting air conditioning it's slowed down a little.

13. trajik ink

trajik ink New Member

correct but wavemakers are a lot more beneficial to corals in terms of simulating waves to recreate what corals feel in a natural reef.

14. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

also, I know first hand that the Red Sea Wavemaker Pro brand of wavemaker requires powerheads to operate (maxijet brand).

15. trajik ink

trajik ink New Member

also wavemakers make sure there's no deadspots within your tank, circulation is key when it comes to a reef sytem.

16. Lanvin87

Hey guys. I have a question. Recently I got some white stuff growing on my live rock. Here are the pictures. They are tiny. Any ideas what can it be? I've seen recently a lot of little bumble bee snail babies. Can these be their eggs? Because yesterday I realized that these white balls have empty holes inside an they are the same size as baby snails.

17. Lanvin87

Here are the pics.
    aa.jpeg bb.jpeg cc.jpeg

18. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

They just look like fan worms to me.

19. Lanvin87

Should I get rid of them? I didnt have them before, but now, there are 6-7 of them all over the tank. The sizes are 0,5sm. will they grow bigger?

20. Lanvin87

Also they never open like fan worms, always closed and some of them have empy holes inside.