1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

My new 29 gallon Reef

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by Lanvin87, May 18, 2010.

1. Lanvin87

Lanvin87 Thread Starter New Member

I just purchased 1 Hydro koralia#3(850gph) and one susun 3000lph, is that enough for 29gal reef right, because it makes about 58x flows?

2. Lanvin87

One more question. My tank's dimensions are 30"Lx12''Wx18''H
    Do I need the lighting fixture 30" or 36"?

3. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

That should be plenty of flow. You'll want a 30" fixture.

4. Lanvin87

Thanks Anthony. If I want to get a T5 lighting, do I still need 5-8Watts per gallon or less? Any suggestions of lighting fixtures?

5. kbekl

kbekl New Member

that should give you plenty of flow

right the lighting is one of the bigger decisions to make

its all down to what you want to keep

soft corals are happy under just about any light

hard corals on the other hand are mixed some are light dependant and others dont want much light at all

this is where i would take a good few hours looking up what sort of corals you would like and see what takes your fancy then once a decision has been reached then look at light

their are many options for you here

t8 softies mainly
    t5 can be used for almost all corals in the right ammount
    halides mainly for hard corals but softies will also be happy under these
    leds new to the market as such so have no real research on their suitability but as a general rule lps is fine as well as soft corals but sps is an hit and miss

this aquarium lightning looks good for the cost

6. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

check out there aquatic life t-5 fixtures, and right now they're running a flat rate shipping special for orders over $75 (and they'll even price match).

7. Lanvin87

Thanks kbelk. Now I am thinking between T5 or LED that you linked me.

MOD where are you? please suggest me something, LED or T5 is better for the quality of the light?

kbelk in the link you posted, the C30 model that I need says 4.9W, is that per bulb(it has 120+60 bulbs) How LEDs Watts are count? Should I get two of them maybe?

8. Lanvin87

30" T5s have usually 2 bulbsx24W(=48W) Isnt it too low for me? Even If I get 2 of them will still be 96W...

9. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Well that depends on exactly what you want to put in the tank. If you're just doing live rock and some low light corals then it's fine. If you want high light things then you'll need Metal Halide lighting along with your T5s.

10. kbekl

kbekl New Member

you would be best to make the decision on the corals you want befor you comit to the lighting

i would always say halides are the best for all round results

in my link you will probably looking at 3 x c60's

11. kbekl

kbekl New Member

also have a look at some others on ebay.

12. Lanvin87

I like the first link, but it is 346W isnt it too much for my 29? Yes I would like to have all different types of corals, but with 346W am I going to have problems with algae growth? I know the required wattage is 5-8 per gallon, so my minimum is 150W and maximum lets say 300W no?

13. Lanvin87

And doesnt metal halides use too much energy? I heard with metal halides the electricity bill is twice bigger, Is that true?

14. kbekl

kbekl New Member

i fyou have 150w of halides these will use the same power as 150w of leds or t5's its just you have control over them

i threw the links up as a general rule

15. Lanvin87

Is i tpossible to get T5HO fixture with 2 bulbs X24W and then change the bulbs to more W, or it is not possible? I mean can the same sized bulbs be with different wattages?
    PS> sorry guys for a lot of stupid questions, I am just totally unfamiliar with the lightings.

16. Lanvin87

Besided PH, Ammonia ,nitrite and nitrate, what parameters are important for Reef tanks and need to be checked regularly?

17. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I don't believe so, you'll have to use the wattage/size bulb that is for the fixture you purchase.

18. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Salinity...defin Salinity.
    calcium and alkalinity too ;)

19. Lanvin87

haha sure salinity. Also I was thnking about iodine, calcium, CO2 maybe. Or these parameters are usually stabile?

20. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I'd refrain from metal halides for several reasons:
    provides light like a spot-light rather than a even light
    heat issues which may lead to you requiring a chiller
    bulbs require replacing more often
    and higher electric bills
    *BUT provides a higher lux because it acts like a spot light which is great for light loving corals and anemones*

LEDs are great and run cool, but once they die out the fixture is pretty much useless.

HO T5's are nice because they run fairly cool, are cheap to run, cheap to replace bulb wise, and provide a nice bright light. Work well for LPS and Soft Corals.

-> I currently run a spot light over my 90g (with bulbs swapped out of course). They do have this fixture available in a 30" also at petstore.com

With a 29g you should be at 18" in height...3.2wpg will allow you low to moderate light corals.
    for moderate to almost high end you'll need roughly 5wpg or more. Remember, with higher lighting comes the need to properly balance...or you'll get nasty stuff like algae