1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

My new 29 gallon Reef

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by Lanvin87, May 18, 2010.

1. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

moreso depends on what you're actually gonna keep in there...from reviewing your posts it seems like your heading towards a reef tank.

Understanding Marine Aquarium Testing and Parameters

2. kbekl

kbekl New Member

nitrate and phosphate are your main contributes to the algea in the tank if you keep these as low as possible then their will be very few algea problems

the main things to test in a marine tank are dependant on corals

soft corals
    nitrate
    phosphate
    salinity
    alkalinity
    iodine

hard corals
    calcium
    magnesium
    strotium
    + all the ones for soft corals

for soft corals you are fine with t5's or t8's

for sps you are fine with led's t5's and halides

for lps you are fine with t5's and halides

this all depends on the size of the tank but on average when looking at hard corals or a mixed sps lps tank halides are cheaper to run over all, this is based on running 150w of t5's and 150w halide at min.

reason for this is that t5's need to be changed every 4-6mths and halides on average 9-12mths

3. Lanvin87

Lanvin87 Thread Starter New Member

Guys love you!:) Thanks so much I really appreciate your help. Clear and nice explanations and lots of new and useful info for me. I cant imagine what I would do without you!

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Manufactures will usually recommend when to replace the bulb, but in general:
    T5, HO, VHO is 6-12 months
    Metal Halides 9-12 months
    LED's can last up to 5 years or 50,000 hours

Again, check with the manufacture and see what they recommend because it can vary drastically.

5. Lanvin87

Did you change the bulbs to a better quality or more wattage? If I am not mistaking you cant change the bult to more wattage right?
    I like the one on your link, but again, it has 4x24W bulbs and I am not sure if 96W T5HO will be enough to keep soft and hard corals?

6. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I changed the actinics for plant bulbs...I no longer have my saltwater setup (was a 55g), and the fixture linked is the one I have over my freshwater 90g and can be seen throughout the thread (90g in my sign.). Soft corals you'd be fine with...not so sure about the hard corals.
    I had this link from when I had saltwater--> reef tank aquariums lighting

7. Lanvin87

I got my Hydor Coralia #3(850 gph) and it is already making a "hurricane" in my tank, Another one is coming soon with the same power. I know its not too much flow, but maybe I put it wrong? It literally moving the sand in the bottom? Should it be like that?
    securedownload[1].jpg

8. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

if it's too much power you can try aiming it towards the front bottom corner to sorta stretch/fade out it's flow (not sure if you can pivot them as I used maxijet's when I had my setup).
    if it's still blasting your sand (badly) then you may simply need a less powerful model such as the #1 which is recommened for your tank size by the manufacture.
    850gph is quite a bit of flow for only a 29g.

Hydor Koralia Chart:

9. Lanvin87

You mean the second one? The problem is I ordered the second one sunsun 3000lph and its on its way from Thailand lol but I dont think it is necessary. I put the head up now so its not mooving the sand any more. I have a very nice flow now. I am thinking why the guys reccomended me two of this lol Maybe its because the tank is empty?
    Regarding the Koralia it is reccomended #2 for my tank, and I ordered two #3s :))

10. Lanvin87

11. Lanvin87

12. Lanvin87

Neither of them has a cooling fan. btw Compact flurocents heat more or T5s?

13. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

no, I meant deflecting the first one (cocking it in a way that will keep it from blowing your substrate everywhere).

As long as you have flow everywhere in the tank..no dead spots you're good to go. The hardest part most times is to get flow BETWEEN your rock work and across your substrate without blowing it everywhere (with the tank being empty you should be able to stick you hand in there to tell where flow is/isn't hitting).

14. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

It should fit if the tank is truly 12" wide...worse case you'll have a tiny part of the leg sticking over the front and back of the tank edge.
    124twpg would give you 4.27wpg That's pretty nice and keeps your stocking options open.
    I'd go moderate on lighting-->
    And no matter what you keep I wouldn't go over 8twpg

and defin. the first light you linked!
    T5 vs compact:
    T5 is brighter and will reach to the bottom of the tank easier (in deeper tanks such as 24" & +)
    T5 defin get more light INTO the tank
    T5 use less power (cheaper to run)
    T5 bulb has almost double the lifespan in compareance to the compact
    T5 bulbs are cheaper to replace than compacts
    T5 bulbs run cooler ime

(Prior to my T5 fixture I ran a same wattage compact fl. fixture)

15. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

SunDial TO- you'd only be able to use one since it's 9/5" wide and you'd get 3.31wpg >Features 1 plug, Lunars, Timers and unsure if it has a built in fan but would do fine for LPS and softies.

Coralife Aqualight - If you use 2 of them (total 6" wide) you'd get 4.27wpg >Features Lunars & Timer

or you can look into retrofit kits if you wanna build a canopy (reefgeek.net)
    I can pm ya a link that show's what they purchased and how they built the canopy (also a 29g reef).

Here's a link to retrofit metal halides lighting too

And here's a simple clip on style metal halide hqi fixture fan

16. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

17. Lanvin87

Thanks MOD for so much info, appreciate it! I think I am gonna take two of these.

Coralife Aqualite

I hope its not gonna heat the water without the fan. Just wanna check tomorrow if my tank is truly 12"W as you told.

Thanks so much again for help. Will have more questions probably about other stuff...)

18. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

not a problem, ya..I think if I were in your situation I'd do the same (2 of that fixture).
    I wouldn't worry about heat, but if you would encounter issues with it you could always add an aquarium fan.

Ps. don't forget to pick yourself up a set of timers for it (I like Wal-mart's Digital Ones).

ABOUT BULB TYPES:
    • 10,000K bulbs will be good for encouraging bluing in SPS
    • 6,000K bulbs are great full spectrum bulbs that are great for the growth of SPS
    • Pure Actinics (420nm) are for ultimate fluorescence of capable corals
    • Moon Lights/Lunars can help induce spawning in corals and invertebrates

And I'd grab a water changer if you don't already have one (Python No Spill Clean n' Fill is what I use and love).

19. kbekl

kbekl New Member

what type of sand did you go for the sugar fine stuff ?

whilst it is blowing the sand about you need to find a way to deflect it away from the sand via either pointing the out let up or to the side or to the center

also you have to bear in mind once the rest of the rock is in the tank this should cut down the movement of the sand

the 3000lph is a sligtly more diverse flow than the koralia

i had 2x 3800lph in my 3ft tank which was only 120ltrs and never had a problem with my sand but i opted for a larger grain

placing the power head is always the key if it was me i would be looking to have the koralia towards the bottom half of the tank and aimed up wards towads the skimmer or the filter to push the water that way

also what rock is it you have in the tank as that looks a bit too solid in the picture

the other power head can be placed the same way as this will cause a collision in the center of the tank which will cause the flow to be random.

20. kbekl

kbekl New Member

actinics are not needed only for the look of the tank
    6,000k tubes are good for growing algea 6500k corals do enjoy and will grow rapidly under them but their is a lot more algea growth from this if the parameters are off
    10,000k this is what is classed as a happy medium good for coral growth and less algea growth
    12,000k is opted for when you want growth with a hint of blue
    14,000k this is the widest kelvin used in marine along with actinics as it provides good growth as well as a blue hue to the tank giving a crisp colour to every thing
    20,000k is used by people that dont want growth but want the flaurence of the corals all day and is just for the person who looks at the tank