1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

My new 29 gallon Reef

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by Lanvin87, May 18, 2010.

1. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

the new rocks you got look to be fiji
    here you can see various types of saltwater rocks which may help with identifying live rock in the future

2. genettico

genettico New Member

by his description of colours? He pretty much described any LR from any ocean of the world. Coralline algae from different colours is plentyful in most live rock. FIji LR just happens to be the most common LR in the trade, so guessing is Fiji would be a better guess based on that than description of colours.

3. Lanvin87

Lanvin87 Thread Starter New Member

guys come on dont fight now :) I put pictures so you can see lol
    Petco store labels say Fiji(red ones) and Florida (yellow ones)

4. genettico

genettico New Member

My apologies in advance. Not my intentions at all to instigate, rather to expand when at all possible and learn in the process as well.

5. Lanvin87

Was just kidding:)
    Honestly guys I really appreciate your help. You guys are giving me so many tips and important information that I need to know.
    PS: love this formum :)

6. kbekl

kbekl New Member

this is one of the only guaranteed way to do it i know people that have used all the options to kill the aips (but not the kalk one) but they just came back reason for this is that the aip didnt digest the poison which they have to do.

the other option is to feed it boiling ro water but again you have to be quick and make sure it dont relase spores befor it dies

7. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Evan the reason I posted the link was so you could hopefully make sure, but knowing that lfs (at least in my area) seem to only carry Fiji and tonga and that defin. wasn't a pict of tonga is why I believe you have Fiji my friend.
    Was keeping it short and simple and not going into an entire spill on makeup and such.

And I'm soo glad you like the forum :)

I know Anthony & I work pretty darn hard to keep this a friendly family oriented place where just about anyone can come right in and ask for advice or share experiences without getting the "you're a novice" and we'ere experienced all knowing fish gods and I can't believe you asked that attitude.

8. Lanvin87

The results of hard work are always visible! I feel very comfortable when in this forum, and would definately reccomend all my friends to use it!
    Great job MOD and Anthony!

9. Lanvin87

Yesterday morning I put fish food flakes into the tank and my test kit should be delivered today, hopefully. Very excited about the results. Will post in the evening when I do. Hopefully there is higher ammonia and NO2 and NO3 are not zero any more lol ( 2 days ago Petco results were ammonia .25 No2 and no3 were 0)
    the tank is 1,5 week

10. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I know it's hard, but give it time..patience is VERY important when it comes to saltwater setups.

11. kbekl

kbekl New Member

i am not too sure but this dont seem right

to have .25 ammonia but not no2 this is odd due to the fact that even an uncured rock would have shown no2 on the first day

if you are going to add food dont ad flake try a prawn or somthing flake will give you phosphate which you dont want

12. Lanvin87

I did test again it still shows exactly the same like the Petco results:
    PH 7.8
    No2-0
    No3-0
    Ammonia-0.25

Maybe it is a problem that I dont have the lighting yet?(I am receiving 130W t5HO this saturday tho)
    Do these bacterias need an intensive lighting to grow?
    Maybe I should put a piece of shrimp inside the tank....

13. nossie

nossie Member

No, it shouldn't be anything strange that you don't have any nitrite or nitrate yet, as there are absolutely no bacteria to deal with it yet! So just be patient, and keep track on your water chemistry.

Did you consider testing for copper? In case you're intending to get invertebrates, it's crucial to keep track on the copper levels in the tank.

14. Lanvin87

Not yet but thanks for advice, will definately do that....

15. kbekl

kbekl New Member

it is strange in the fact that this is live rock not filter media

the live rock should be full of bacteria which with no food source will die off causing ammonia which it has done but it should also create nitrite at the same time

i have sat in a tub some live rock which i have been cycling for 5 days ready to go in to the display tank

1st day ammonia was above 1 then droped to .5 the following day at which point i had a nitrite reading of 0.25 which had rissen to 1ppm and has now started to drop

this is the point of live rock it isnt fresh bacteria it is already present in the rock the ammonia is from the die off when in transit and from starvation

16. genettico

genettico New Member

The live rock is already cycled as per previous posts.
    You mentioned: "...it should also create nitrite at the same time..." this is not correct, unless there was ammonia already present in the system or nitrite. Nitrite is but a by-product from the conversion of NH3 by bacteria. No2 and No3, (as you mentioned later) fluctuates from nothing to spikes as the ammonia levels get consumed to near nothing by bacteria. There is always ammonia in our systems at all times.... just not measurable sometimes because of the very low concentrations and our test are not sensitive enough. Yes there's die off in rocks, and yes this does create more ammonia, but after the cycle has been established, the live rock has cycled it's die off and there's a decent amount of aerobic bacteria in a system,vthe ammonia spikes are so miniscule that are un-noticed or un-traceable

17. kbekl

kbekl New Member

sorry with every system i have setup been about 9 now on cycle i have always had cured live rock and their has always been nitrite present with in 3 days due to the die off of each bacteria species

the dead bacteria show as ammonia which is then turned to nitrite as the ammonia bacteria are the fastest multiplyers then this is the first to decrese followed but nitrite and then followed by nitrate

18. Lanvin87

So does this mean that I need to put much more fish food into the tank to crate bigger spikes of ammonia? Or what would you suggest? thanks ahead!

19. genettico

genettico New Member

[/quote]

sorry with every system i have setup been about 9 now on cycle i have always had cured live rock and their has always been nitrite present with in 3 days due to the die off of each bacteria species

the dead bacteria show as ammonia which is then turned to nitrite as the ammonia bacteria are the fastest multiplyers then this is the first to decrese followed but nitrite and then followed by nitrate[/quote]

Lol... You made my point... The nitrite came as a result of the die off and was NOT present at the beginning, but 3 days later. The ammonia CAN come from dead bacteria, but your statement: "...the dead bacteria show as ammonia..." is not correct. I think you are a little confused about the workings of the Nytrogen cycle. the principles in your statement are correct, but your phrasing of some things are off. I will post a link that hopefully will help on clarifying this.

20. genettico

genettico New Member

So does this mean that I need to put much more fish food into the tank to crate bigger spikes of ammonia? Or what would you suggest? thanks ahead!

If you are just setting up your system so then it is a good idea. This will create more aerobic bacteria to a certain point.