1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

My new 29 gallon Reef

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by Lanvin87, May 18, 2010.

1. Lanvin87

Lanvin87 Thread Starter New Member

Guys what is the difference between true and False percula clownfish? Also there are wild and aguacultured?

2. Lanvin87

He has 3 fancy, 1 comet that is really huge already lol, and 1 shubunkin or I dont know how to spell correctly(that is grown huge also) and he also has a catfish which cleans the tank. I bought him a good aeration stuff 1 year ago and fish are even more happy now, and he has regular hob filter.

3. Lanvin87

One more stupid question: Can Clarkii and Percula clownfish be paired(kept) in the same tank. In my 29 I mean:)

4. Lanvin87

Here are the parameters of my tank water for the last week after I added household ammonia to higher my ammonia level to 4, and next day I added beneficial bacteria from API,(the bottle says: contains beneficial bacteria which helps to cycle new tanks within 2-3 days), so I decided to try
    here are the results:
    28 may HP 8, Ammonia 4, No2 0,25, No3 0.
    29 may HP 8, Ammonia 4, No2 0,25, No3 0.
    30 may HP 7.8, Ammonia 2, No2 1, No3 10.
    31 may HP 7.8, Ammonia 0.50, No2 5, No3 20.
    1June(today)HP 7.8, Ammonia 0, No2 1, No3 20.

As you see the results are great(I think)
    Ammonia is now 0 and No2 is going to be 0 tonight or tomorrow I guess(ben. bacterias are working hard:)
    No3 is not gonna low untill I do a water changes right?
    My question is: what should I do next? Should I do some water change to lower No3 and then add some more ammonia to check if it will become 0 again? or I should just do 90% water change and add first fish and invertebrates?

5. Lanvin87

I also bought a refractometer today. My hydrometer shows the salinity 1.027 but the refractometer shows 1.022 WOW!

6. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

yea, usually a difference more than that between the 2.

I'd posted a link to someone who was selling both a refractometer and hydrometer for $10 and I believe both were brand new too and would ship.

I received your pm about the paramters and replied already.

7. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

True (Bolder in appearance imo and usually more expensive):
    •Typically orange in color with three white bars, with the middle bar having a forward-projecting bulge.
    •Has 10 (rarely 9) dorsal spines.
    •Usually has jet black margins of varied widths around its white bars, often of which can be rather thick.
    •Distribution of this species in nature: Northern Queensland and Melanesia (New Guinea, New Britain, New Ireland, Solomon Islands, and Vanuatu)

False:
    •Typically orange in color with three white bars, with the middle bar having a forward-projecting bulge.
    •Has 11 (rarely 10) dorsal spines.
    •The spinous (anterior) part of the dorsal fin is taller.
    •May have no black margins present, but most often has thin, never thick black margins around its white bars.
    •Distribution of this species in nature: Andaman and Nicobar Islands (Andaman Sea), Indo-Malayan Archipelago, Philippines, northwestern Australia; coast of Southeast Asia northwards to the Ryukyu Islands.

8. Lanvin87

Thanks Mod a lot! So I will use the refractometer for the salinity only!

9. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

yep, either a orange striped, bangaii, or pajama (but from my readings the pajamas are more of a grouper fish and aren't said to do well solitary..and your 29 simply won't have the room for a grouping). Same issue with the bangaii..needs 30g minimum, but you could get away with one being they WILL do okay solitary.

10. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

my brother has 5 goldfish in his 29 gallon and they have been healthy and happy and very active for about 3 years now(the same fish that he purchased from the very beginning). I tried to check it on the AqAdvisor and I put 4 goldfish and it already says that the tank is overstocked by 179%. What would this mean?
    hahah Does this mean that I can have a bicolor angel in my tank? lol

and here is the link about Pajama Cardinal fish, which says 20+ gallon tank....
    I am confused, I dont know where to get the right information.[/quote]
    everywhere will vary slightly...I like DK books. Simply use common sense..the smaller the fish the better it will do in a 29g and the more peaceful the species...the easier it will be on you with starting out. Also bare in mind that rockwork takes up quite a bit of volume within a tank..so your 29g isn't actually 29g by the time you add the substrate and rockwork.

11. nossie

nossie Member

I don't know which questions you got answers for yet, but I'll still try to help :'D

About them goldfish: The Comet and Shubunkin are two longer varieties of goldfish and they need far more space for swimming that the egg shaped ones. And these different kinds shouldn't be kept together as bullying may occur, but still, if them fish are happy this way, I don't mind! :D

About the rest: Your cycling seems to be getting somewhere! But by now I wouldn't add any more ammonia, but simply let it take its course in peace. Now just do small waterchanges of 10% or so, and DON'T change 90% of it right before you add the new fish, this would disturb the bacteria in your tank. Rather deal with small and frequent water changes instead before you add your fish. And when you do, you should test the water every day for the first weeks to make sure that the parameters are good for your fish and inverts, do small water changes of about 20%-30% whenever needed.

12. Lanvin87

Is that a good idea to purchase fish at the local PETCO store?:) (their prices are much lower than any online store, and you dont need to do long transportation of the live fish).

13. nossie

nossie Member

I can't see why not! :D Just look carefully at the fish and make sure that they are healthy!

14. Lanvin87

I know they have 14 day guarantee on live fish and usually people bring the sick fish to return and what they do, they just put sick fish with the other fish(of course after giving some medicine) and wait if fish will die or not.
    But you are right I just need to check if fish looks healthy, I gues that's the most important!

15. Lanvin87

I came home today and my sand and live rocks are covered with brown stuff. Is this brown algae called diatomes?
    Here is the picture
    securedownload[1].jpg

16. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Yep, just diatoms. They'll go away eventually. Shrimp and lots of snails will take care of it.

17. Lanvin87

18. Lanvin87

I received the vibration pump from sunsun and it is different than koralia: koralia blows the water all around the tank, sunsun doesn't blow the water I Hess it's just pumps because when I put my hand inside the tank near the sunsun pump I don't feel any waves like koralia does very strong! And also it is very very noisy OMG i just want to return it! I don't think it is possible to prevent the noise! It is really vibrating lougly!

19. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

Buyer beware! Sometime less expensive is not the way to go. In aquarium supplies to many fly-by-night made in china products out there. (Not just in China either)

20. Lanvin87

I was thinking the same way until I realised today that my product is delivered from Korea and its vottage is 220, so i need a converter for us120v. Thats why it doesnt work properly and it is nisy.