1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

My new 29 gallon Reef

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by Lanvin87, May 18, 2010.

1. Lanvin87

Lanvin87 Thread Starter New Member

I was at petco store yesterday trying to purchase 2 clownfish but the manager of the store didnt let me do that, He said clownfish are agressive and they will kill each other when they are full grown and at the same time he reommended couple of Bangaii cardinal for my 29. Yes, he also said that chromis are agressive and should be kept one, but the AqAdvisor says chromis should be at least 3(group). So I am confused even more and will go to bookstore today to do some more research I guess.

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

who in the world recommended the sun sun? or did you find it on your own?
    (overseas garbage most likely..it you find the converter and shell out the cash for it the best you can do for the noise is fold a towel (hand towel) beneath it to soften the vibration.

3. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

what type of clownfish were you trying to purchase? I had a pair of perculas and they got along great. I bought them small from saltwaterfish.com and never had a problem with them...only difference was mine were in a larger setup with more equipment attached.

You could do 3 bangaii cardinals if that's all you want in the tank.

Blue chromis is a hardy fish, as a matter of fact many use them to cycle their saltwater tank.
    Any fish CAN be nasty and out of their general character...but for the most part their known as a peaceful fish. Typically they'll be "BOLD" in groups of course, but a single one should be fine.
    $2.49 Blue Damsel Saltwater Fish

4. Lanvin87

5. Lanvin87

I was trying to purchase false percula, I will do today in another Petco(larger store) i dont think they will get agressive, I will try to find a pair.
    maybe i will get 3-striped damsel I like them too. BTW Can they be in my tank instead of the trio blue damsels? Please say yes Mod:)
    The seller of sunsun says if I use the correct voltage it will be very quite. So i got the converter and I am at work, I hope until I get home this evening it will not be dead:) It is turned on in my tank with wrong volts...

6. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

to buy a actual mated pair will be expensive...you just wanna get 2 little ones (look over them for a while before purchasing..make sure body condition is good, swimming and active, and ask them to feed them a pinch to make sure they're eating).

No on the 3 stripe...very aggressive and would make life miserable for the percula.
    Stock slow and stock wise (shy fish first...to more active/aggress last).
    With a 29 and perculas I'd go with easy laid back fish....you're new to this and you DON'T want to have a nightmare tank at war constantly (which will lead to diseases from the battle wounds).

7. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

False perculas are perfectly fine kept in pairs or even more. They are not aggressive towards each other.

8. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

what about a court jester goby, or maybe a 3 lined cardinal fish, or even a Yellowtail Demoiselle ?

9. Lanvin87

Yellowtail Damsel you mean? I like that ones too. But today I wil get just 2 perculas and couple of shrimps and snails. I like fire shrimp and sexy shrimps:)

Thanks Anthony....I knew that, even the book says they are the least aggressive from all clownfish, so I am not gonna listen to Petco Staff any more. ;)

10. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

Ah the wonderfully knowledgeable employees. Don't cha just luv em! LOL

11. Lanvin87

Please welcome my first 2 clownfish, I have just finished accumulating them and they feel good in a new tank. Just one question guys. After I put them in a tank I saw that one fish's lower fin has couple of little cuts which I am sure happened during the transfering them from the bag into the tank. Just little phisical damage I would say. It usually goes away or stays?
    securedownload[1].jpg securedownload[1].jpg securedownload[1].jpg

12. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

Little cuts and tears in fins should grow in pretty quickly if no infect sets in, Just keep an eye out to see if they're healing or getting worse. They look great. Congrates.

13. Lanvin87

Thanks:) I hope it will grow too. My temperature is 80 today in my tank surprisingly. I guess it is even better for their immunitete. I was thinking to put an ice bag to lower it at least to 78. But later did some recearch and found out that low 80s are fine too. Am I right?

14. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

LiveAquaria Yellow Damselfish - Saltwater Aquariums

15. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

leave it at the 80F...just keep an eye to make sure it stays fairly stable without much fluctuation.

ps. gorgeous! is the blue from the lighting or a background that you've applied to the sidewalls as well?

and fireshrimp are stunning and would look great ;)

16. nossie

nossie Member

What's a "sexy shrimp"? xD Pictures?

My Moor has recently gotten his tail split twice, but in only one place at a time. This is usually gone in about two days as long as I keep the water good :) But I do wonder what he's been doing? They are so perfectly torn, almost like scissors have been involved! D8 The important part is that they heal fast and well, though. So not to worry :)

The tank looks beautiful with the new fish! :) Good luck with them, and take good care of them! ;D

17. Lanvin87

Thanks nossie:) Sexy shrimp is Thor amboinensis

Sexy Shrimp

awww.scuba_equipment_usa.com_marine_APR04_images_Thor_amboinensis.jpg

"These little guys are very entertaining. When they move, their "tails" wave back and forth as if they were dancing. This is where the "Sexy Shrimp" name came from."

18. Lanvin87

Yesterday evening after acummulation I fed them with couple of pallets and they were eating. This morning I turned on the light and put some pallets but they didnt eat....I guess still stressed in a new tank.... Checked all water parameters are fine.
    Hp 7.8 Amm 0 No2 0 No3 5.

19. Lanvin87

Thanks Mod:) This is the bacground I bought at Petco and got a special glue that u put between the glass and the background and it looks much clearer and brighter....

20. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

sounds like you used SeaView (background) and it looks awesome.

Oh, and Try feeding them a couple hours after the lights are on :)