1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

My new 29 gallon Reef

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by Lanvin87, May 18, 2010.

1. nossie

nossie Member

Oh, that's so adorable! :'D

2. Lanvin87

Lanvin87 Thread Starter New Member

What food is better for clownfish? I bought SPECTRUM pallets but I think they dont like it that much. I dont see them swimming to the food when I put it in the tank. (I remember my goldfish-they were always hungry for food:)

3. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Live Brine
    Frozen Hikari Spirulina Infused Brine Shrimp
    Frozen Hikari Mysis
    Frozen Hikari Bloodworms
    Live Bloodworms
    New Life Spectrum Saltwater Flake with Garlic
    Ocean Nutrition Prime Reef flake
    etc. etc. etc.

Ps. I never had luck with the pellet foods with anything I have had as of yet (saltwater or freshwater)

variety is best so they won't get hooked on 1 type of food and snub others.

4. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

looks really good...i like the background as well.

5. Lanvin87

Thanks guys! Here are new pics right after I fed them with flakes(sorry for the quality, its made with my iphone), I am still not happy how they eat....they are scared every ime I want to feed them...
    2.jpg securedownload[1].jpg

6. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

was meaning to stick this here about the Diatoms you're experiencing (which as stated before, is completely normal for a newly cycled tank)...

Cure for Brown Algae Diatoms in your Aquarium

Did you try live food yet? Try approaching the tank slowly until they get used to you.

7. Lanvin87

Thanks Mod. Here is the food that I bought and flakes. I tried the first one in the picture and no success yet. Didnt try the brine shrimp yet(frozen food).
    securedownload[1].jpg

8. Lanvin87

9. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Formula Two is a great food. I fed it in my saltwater tank that included clownfish.

10. Lanvin87

Here is another pic of that brown algae in my tank. I hope they will starve and die off from the lack of nitrates and silicates soon.

Mod How did you see it in the previous pics:)!... well I guess experience....:) Cuz It was almost invisible in the last two pics....but they are alot....
    Here you can see better:
    5.jpg

11. Lanvin87

I tried it but tey are kind of scared when they see me I guess and they forget about the food....or I dont know....maybe they eat later when I go away from the tank....

12. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

What kind of tests are you using to test for nitrates ? I find it hard to believe that the reading is 0, especially in a saltwater tank.

13. Lanvin87

API saltwater test kit. Yes after my last water change(before adding fish 3 days ago) it dropped from 20 to 5 and today it is 0 already, I checked twice to be sure I did everything right...

14. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Strange. In any event the algae will go away with time.

15. Lanvin87

If it goes away tomorrow, I will think that it consumed No3(its food for them) and died because of the lack of food.... [icon_e_confused.gif]

16. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

It will still be there tomorrow. [icon_razz.gif]

17. Lanvin87

My water PH level is always showing 7.8. I know it should be 8.1-8.4. Should I be worried about that?

18. nossie

nossie Member

If you're really worried you could use some of the chemical pH-raising... things. I have some, but I don't use it much, since fish do prefer it if the water chemistry stays constant rather than fluctuating up and down from time to time.

There should also be some kind of substrate, crushed corals I think would help raising the pH a bit in your tank, it was also some kind of rock that should have the same trait. But you could try reading some articles online about this, I'm sure you'd find something helpful!

19. Lanvin87

Thanks Nossie.

I am starting to have another problem: water temperature is 82-83 now. I put ice bag sometimes. I am not sure if its from the lights because I didnt have that problem before, I just dont have air conditioning in my living room and the weather is hot in New York. Could you guys recommend me how could I use the fan?(or maybe there is another way of resolving this problem) I am using an aquarium lid, so should I put the fan next to the lighting fixture or what?

20. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

That temp really isn't a big deal as long as it's stable.