1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

My New African Cichlids

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by jrow8162, Feb 27, 2009.

1. jrow8162

jrow8162 Thread Starter Member

Here are some pics of my new African Cichlids...

cichlids 001.jpg cichlids 003.jpg cichlids 007.jpg cichlids 009.jpg

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

They are cuties.....I just LOVE Africans!

3. jrow8162

I've always kept SA cichlids because I always liked big fish. I saw these at the pet store and had to have them. Bought a new tank and cycled it for a week. Water was finally right tonight so I was real excited to get them. One of them is a really light purple color. You cant tell by the pictures but its really cool looking...

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Yep, an AC. I just love them. I have an SA tank too :)

5. Angus

Angus New Member

Jrow..that purple one is an P. sp. (Acei), and they are a wonderful fish.

you would be well served to grab a few more of those if you have the opportunity, they school well together which makes it a delight to watch.

6. Angus

Angus New Member

Btw ..what size is your tank?

7. jrow8162

Its a very temporary 20 long... I'm about to relocate the fish in my 55 long, setup the rock work and move them in there. Maybe add a few more once i'm finished setting it up for them...

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

You will not regret the ACs (I like abbreviations...LOL!!) as they are just fun when they school.

9. jrow8162

They are really pretty too! Next to saltwater you wont get better colors!

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

That is exactly why we keep them. They have great personalities and they are stunning. We can never get enough.

11. jrow8162

Yeah, I cant wait to move them to the bigger tank and add more... I've been reading up and watching videos on how to breed them. I watched a guy hold one in his hand over a bowl of water and the fry came right out of its mouth!

12. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

The red zebra may give you problems as it gets larger. Acei's and labs can be kept together without any real problems.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I have so many breeders it is crazy. Just do not remove the holding Momma too soon or she can swallow her brood.

14. jrow8162

Red Zebra? I dont have any red ones. I have an orange one. Is that the one your referring to? They all came out of the same tank...

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

They are called red zebras although they are yellow/orange. You got them out of the assorted tank.

16. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Yep Red Zebras are actually, as Kimmie said, orange/yellow.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

They do have albino and OB (spotted) Zebras. This is such a result in assorted tanks with non-species breeding. You gotta love genetics and natural selection.

18. jrow8162

There are 2 tanks there with Africans in them. Store has only been there for a few months so he's in the process of setting up new tanks. I saw the new African tank they are setting up and it looks pretty cool. The tank I got these from looked pretty good. The other one was kind of cloudy so I didn't want to buy anything out of it. Should I keep the Red Zebra in a separate tank?

19. Angus

Angus New Member

And for the record, yes they can be a wee bit troublesome...lol
    More like pain in the rump to other fish..not that you will have any issues with them I am sure.

We have several in with Arautus, and they are perhaps the most annoying and abrasive of all the Mbuna species. We rarely see anything that alarms us however.

FTR#2 I do hope that you are going to invest in a fair amount of rock..for the rockwork of the 55, as the Mbuna do require plenty of cover to feel secure.

If you can find a Quarry near by, they will be your best bet..simply ask them which rock will not leach harmful agents into your tank, and you could most likely get slate slabs for anywhere from 10-25 cents per pound.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

We keep ours all together and they are all pests so it is all good. A bit of over stocking also will help keep aggression down so no one fish is bullied.