1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

My New African Cichlids

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by jrow8162, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Angus

Angus New Member

^^^ yeppers..I taught her well..now I am teary eyed..sniff

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

LOL!!! :)

3. jrow8162

jrow8162 Thread Starter Member

How about Lava Rock? They have a lot of rock work at the LFS but I chose the two that I got based on the holes in them and the small tank I have them in. i would like to stack rock work in the 55. Clear it out, get it all setup and then make sure I have the water straight before I move any of the fish. The two pieces I have now cost 30 dollars!

4. Angus

Angus New Member

This my friend is exactly why I would suggest the quarry!

The stores will soak you but good, and the rock you get at the quarry looks far more natural anyways..which in the long run is far more appealing in an african tank.

OOps sorry *disclaimer* this is of course merely opinion of one person. I have however been raising and breeding Africans for the better part of 20 years.

so take it for what it is worth.

5. Angus

Angus New Member

I am to get about 70 pounds or so of the red and black lav rock from my breeder sometime within the week I would say, if I do not appreciate it in my new 60gallon corner tank..we can perhaps work out a deal..it is fairly light so may not be such a bugger to ship..if of course you have still decided to go with this type of rock.

6. jrow8162

There is a quarry a few miles away from my office. Maybe I will swing by there and see what I cant get. I figured I could get it cheaper elsewhere. Maybe even Southern States. In case you've never heard of them they are a Farm and Gardening supply store in Richmond, VA. I'm sure they would have some cool stuff in the lawn and garden section...

7. BobV

BobV Member

you are probably gonna need lots of rockwork in the future. The more the better. When you set up the tank, get a 2x4 foot chunk of eggcrate material from Lowe's etc... it is in the lighting dept. ( cheap ) lay it down first, then add the sand and rocks.. it will allow the weight of the rocks to be dispersed over a larger area and prevent pressure points on the glass.
    aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v420_BV77_Fish071208013.jpg
    this way large rockpiles can be made. Another help is to use clay pots, with entry holes in them, and or even plastic bowls with entry and exit holes in them . Cover them with rocks, it will make many more nooks and crannies while keeping the overall weight of the rockpile lower.
    aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v420_BV77_Fish031508023.jpg
    I've even used wood under the rocks to add height, and less weight to the piles. Don't worry, my wood has been in water MANY years, so it has no lowering effect on my ph
    aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v420_BV77_Fish11060402.jpg

8. jrow8162

Wow, your tank looks awesome!!!

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Bob your tank (and avitar) is stunning!! Love the natural rock work!

10. Angus

Angus New Member

This is an older 90G with about 250 lbs of Maine ocean rock
    ai79.photobucket.com_albums_j121_Angus_06_forumpic.jpg

This is with about 170 pounds of Maine slate and river stones approximately the size of baseballs
    ai79.photobucket.com_albums_j121_Angus_06_Fish_IMG_1955_1.jpg

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I miss the old tank.

12. jrow8162

They look great!!!

13. Angus

Angus New Member

Jrow..here is a pair of our acei's from an older tank..

they were a lot of fun..

ai79.photobucket.com_albums_j121_Angus_06_Fish_newtanks023_1.jpg

14. Angus

Angus New Member

ai79.photobucket.com_albums_j121_Angus_06_NewFishPics070_1.jpg

Again..another african tank..each and everytime..you can mix things up quite a bit.

15. jrow8162

So you can keep your Clown Loaches in the same tank? I have 2 Clown Loaches in my 55 gallon tank. I dont want to get rid of them and know they need to be in a big tank. Can I leave them in there when I move my Africans?

16. Angus

Angus New Member

You betcha Jrow!..heck we even have African rope fish and 6" pair of asian upside down catfish

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Yeppers...our clowns lived with our Africans. They got along great. They cannot recognize what they are so they leave them alone.

18. BobV

BobV Member

very nice tanks, Angus. Ty, Kimmie. All my rocks and wood are from the local river. The avatar is my dog , Mason, He's a pound puppy. 10% boxer, 10% mastif, and 80% gift from God. Here's a couple more pics of him.
    aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v420_BV77_Fish070508009.jpg
    aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v420_BV77_Fish031508015.jpg
    aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v420_BV77_Mason021306011.jpg

19. jrow8162

Thats awesome! Guy at the LFS said he didnt think I would be able to. I saw a few tanks on youtube mixing Africans and Clown Loaches. I really like the loaches and would like to keep them in the bigger tank... How many did you have?

20. Angus

Angus New Member

Here is one of our ropes..
    ai79.photobucket.com_albums_j121_Angus_06_fishtank016.jpg