1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

My New African Cichlids

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by jrow8162, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Bob - he is just wayyyyyyyyyyy too kissable!!!

jrow - we had 2 - Pip and Pop...LOL!!

2. Angus

Angus New Member

I would do loaches and catfish, and the ropes..I would not do anything else in my african tanks however...but that is just me. the Ropes are from africa so they kinda blend.

3. BobV

BobV Member

Angus....where does one get a hold of that "bamboo" ?

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Yeah - like when I snuck my GT and JD in there till I could get their tank up ai18.photobucket.com_albums_b134_kimmie_n_angus_Smilies_whistle.gif

5. jrow8162

jrow8162 Thread Starter Member

Ropefish are cool too... I always thought you could only keep other Africans with the African cichlids...

6. Angus

Angus New Member

You can get that bamboo just about anywhere Bob, most flower shops carry it, and even some supermarkets today.

7. Angus

Angus New Member

To be frank Jrow..you need to be very careful with africans.

3 primary lakes, and unless you really know how to pull it off, it is actually rather tricky to mix the lakes together comfortably.

aquascape, temp, food, water volume, and volume of mix per fish will play large roles in the success of your tanks..

I am sure Bob will confer with this post.

8. jrow8162

This is all great info.. I dont know why I never tried these fish before. I'm really liking the ones I have now. What do you suggest I feed them? Mine will probably be in the smaller tank for a few weeks so I dont want them outgrowing it too fast...

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Ciclid flake is good, pellets, and sometimes a bit of heartier stuff (peas, etc). They are not going to grow too fast and they usually only get about 6 inches when they are at their largest. You are good with time.

10. jrow8162

Cool... I fed them some flakes tonight and they seemed pretty happy with that. I used to feed my SA Cichlids pellets to keep them from growing too fast. Learned my lesson with live food...

11. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I've even seen bamboo at the dollar stores, Petco, Petsmart, Giant Eagle, and at the malls.

12. Angus

Angus New Member

Yes there too,

I do not use any plant in my Mbuna or show tank now as they are really caring less about it, and it seems to only apease visitors that do not understand the true needs of africans. The do not need plant, people put it in there for cosmetics.

I like the rock work look far more anyways..but each to their own as they say.

:D

13. Angus

Angus New Member

Jrow..

As it ends up, our breeder gave Kim and I not 70 lbs but 125 lbs of lava rock, and it is looking like Kim is not interested..so we may be able to work something out with shipping if you are truely interested..

14. jrow8162

I am definitely interested in some rock work. Let me know how you want to work it out and we can go from there...

15. Angus

Angus New Member

Ok..I am going to pull the lava rock out of the 50G growout tank when I ppull this momma Kenyi and her fry, and I will weigh it.

We can go from this point..it will be a few days before I remove it however, as I need to pay mind to the small fry..she only spit 3-4 days ago..they are rather small.

16. jrow8162

Take your time... Whenever your ready just let me know. I'm not in any rush to move things around just yet. I have a ton of community fish to move before I can move the africans over to the 55.