1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

My New Discus

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by jrow8162, Oct 6, 2009.

1. jrow8162

jrow8162 Thread Starter Member

Here is my new Discus. Had it since Saturday. Eating well and color is even better here than at the LFS. I traded 3 of my Africans for it. Now I am going to get more as soon as they get some that I like...
    Discus1.jpg Discus2.jpg

2. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

.....not good if you haven't read up on discus they do A LOT better in groups not that it's not possible they become really skitish and shy and might stop eating and die.....

3. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

That is a young specimen.... :confused:

4. jrow8162

I'm hoping to buy a few more this week. I've done my research on top of all of the nfo that Lemon gave me... LFS has more coming in this week. This one started off shy but is all over the tank now. Also eating very well...

5. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

ok good luck then =]

6. jrow8162

Thanks!!! I went today and he has a few coming in tomorrow. I'm going to look at them in the morning. Will most likely buy both of them...

7. LemonDiscus

3 is a REALLY REALLY bad number to keep..... get that 1 more when you do it

1 - OK but stresses the 1
    2 - at this age... BAD there will be a bully and a bullied
    3 - also VERY bad... actually worse than 2 at EVERY age... Will be at least 1 bully and maybe 2 meaning the bullied may get beat up by not only 1 but 2
    4 - Still stressful but now there are more fish for the bully or 2 to push around
    5 - more balanced
    6 - Leaves enough fish in the tank for aggression to circle throughout so nobody "picked on" all the time

You will learn VERY SOON Discus are not the peaceful calm fish they are marketed to be.... I hope you dont learn at a high cost.... :confused:

You asked for advice and that above is why steven and I keep pressing the number of fish... DONT just get 2 more!

8. jrow8162

Is my tank big enough for 6? Its 45 to 50 gallons. Its a Corner Hex tank. I definitely appreciate the advice. I dont want to lose the fish... I can definitely hold off until I can get more.

9. LemonDiscus

Yes.... That will work for 6... That is THE MAX that tank will hold.

That would actually be overstocked but with Discus thats ok to do that and even better for the fish as long as you keep up the water changes (20%-40% every 3 days MINIMUM at the size they are now!).... You need to do water changes like that whether you have only 1 or 6...... They are growing fish and need the clean water to grow along with a balance of different foods.

Again I recommend making your own food... its cheaper and its VERY healthy... I have 3 sandwich bag size flat packs from this 1 batch I made... It cost me about $20 for everything... That counts the cost of things I already had laying around the house... ALL the discus LOVE IT!!! Even my wilds which are picky as can be... I could only get the wilds to eat Frozen Bloodworms, Frozen Brine Shrimp and Live Blackworms.... nothing else... they TEAR this food apart... There is a trick to feeding it to your tank though.. If you make it let me know or if you have any questions about it let me know! This food WILL grow your fish VERY WELL!!!

Seafood Mix
    1/2 lb Fresh Raw Tilapia
    1/4 lb Fresh Raw Salmon
    6 Medium US Wild Shrimp Raw
    1 Overripe Banana
    1 Clove Garlic
    Handful of Tetra Color Bits
    4 Baby Carrots
    about 1 leaves of spinach
    4 Flinstone Vitamins

Basically you puree it all up and freeze it... Yummy!

10. jrow8162

Wow, sounds like a meal! I'm sure your fish are happy. I will give that a try...

11. LemonDiscus

Like I said... if my wilds eat it... any Discus will eat it! Its VERY VERY high in protein, vitamins and minerals! Its a full days worth of things packed into each feeding :)

12. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

keep in mind if you dont do enough water changes they will be stunted all about water quality ( i wont lie i had a few juvies in a 40 gallon did a 50% water change everyday all made it to be around 6" before being sold) these are probally captive breed i heard some breeders in china do 99% water changes on them everyday for ultimate growth with no problems

13. LemonDiscus

I agree 100% again steven! Daily water changes with juvies are best... also... for the time being I would loose the gravel and go BB.... at least til they get a bit older.... (around 5-7")... This way you can see if they ate, what they ate and how much... it also allows you to overfeed them and the discus to find the leftovers without the leftovers breaking down into the substrate...

14. jrow8162

My Discus is still doing really well. LFS ordered two more but I didnt buy them since you guys told me I needed to add more to avoid any issues. They said it wouldnt be a problem but i'll stick with the advice that you guys give me... :) The one I have isn't shy at all. Comes to the top of the tank when I feed it and didnt even hide when I did the water change today. Lemon, let me know when you have yours available. I think I will buy 4 or 5 of them as long as it doesnt break the bank...

15. LemonDiscus

Will do if the *boogers* will breed! :confused:

Im still trying......

16. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

lol good luck to both of you!

17. LemonDiscus

I sent you a PM

18. California Cowgirl

California Cowgirl New Member

hmmm i wonder if i should try this on my puffer. He's picky and only eats frozen bloodworms. maybe i can just throw in the meats and leave out the vegies because he probably wouldn't like that

19. LemonDiscus

I would leave the veggies in anyhow... the veggies get pureed so the fish dont even realize they are eating it... instead they get a well balanced diet... The idea with this food is to "trick" them into eating what you want them to...

20. California Cowgirl

California Cowgirl New Member

I wonder if it will trick my puffer then, I even tried giving him frozen brine and mysis shrimp soaked in garlic and he went towards it but spat it out. I will really think about trying your mix