1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

My New Discus

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by jrow8162, Feb 9, 2010.

1. jrow8162

jrow8162 Thread Starter Member

Just bought these guys tonight. Thought I would snap a picture with my camera phone. I now have 6. I bought two last weekend. They haven't been eating. Now that there are six they have all schooled together and just ate some frozen blood worms. One of the Discus I bought last weekend has been really stressed. Hopefully having a nice school will calm him down.
    0209002247.jpg

2. jrow8162

I will take some better pictures once they have had some time to settle into the new tank.

3. spawn

spawn New Member

your turquoise discus is very healthy...upload more pictures of your tank...

4. jrow8162

I lost all but one of these... They guy I bought them from lost all of his shipment too! He is replacing two of them tomorrow. I will snap some pictures of them once they are acclimated to the new tank. He owes me 4 but is only replacing two tomorrow. He quarantined this shipment to make sure he gives out healthy fish. Last chance for him so I hope these work out.

5. spawn

spawn New Member

sad to hear that you lost your discus...next time when you'll buy discus check the health of discus and quarantine them in a hospital tank...this will help you to prevent your old discus from any parasite disease...

6. jrow8162

Definitely! I just took the gravel out of one of my tanks and made it a quarantine tank. The new Discus i'm getting tomorrow will go in there for about 2 weeks. Keeping it bare bottom so I can see if they are eating and keep it as clean as possible.

7. spawn

spawn New Member

ok great work..which type of discus fish you'll get tomorrow?

8. jrow8162

He said they are Red Discus. Most likely Asian like last time. He said they were a lot prettier than the last ones so i'm pretty excited...

9. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

man, that guy was pretty vague. I have my fingers crossed for you though that they will be healthy and well colored!

I found this on asian strains..also shows some photos of them which is kinda nice.

10. jrow8162

He's been good about giving me pretty fish. The customer service has been outstanding so i'm willing to give it another shot. He offered me my money back when the first batch died. Said the new ones that he is giving me looked even better than the first ones did. I'm a little agitated that i'm not getting all four at once but he has promised me quality fish so I will see how it goes.

11. spawn

spawn New Member

red discus means red doll or red marlboro or red turquoise or red and white or spider or red map or red melon discus....

12. jrow8162

Here is a pic of the new ones. I'll take a few more here in a few. They are already eating so its looking good so far...
    0221001358.jpg 0221001358.jpg

13. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

They look pretty tiny.

14. jrow8162

I've been buying them that way. 2-3" for 25 a piece. He still owes me two more. They look pretty good for their size though. Cant wait to see how the colors come out!

15. WhiteGloveAquatics

WhiteGloveAquatics New Member

I dont have discus yet but set up a tank for them.

Anyways, this is how I feed finicky or reluctant fish, you need a cup, a turkey baster and some food( I mix in a little garlic juice, 1 eyedropper drop to entice the feeding or a single drop of peanut oil, garlic works faster though and their food, mainly beefheart and bloodworms,this is pertaining to MY angels, and thaw it out make a nice mix, take a kids medicine syringe and get a ittle of the water in there and basically scent chum the tank then I let the turkey baster do its thing down lower and behind the plants and wood.

The scent chum will excite and they will start to eat.

also try some shelled frozen peas same way, cept use less water, and make a sort of a slurry then give that directly to the distressed or ill fish. Its saved me a few times with some nice fish. Just a tip I picked up over the years and out of frustration with a fish that wont eat.

16. jrow8162

Sounds like a good plan! They have eaten twice now. Frozen blood worms seem to work. They didnt care for the live black worms which was surprising. All of my other fish go nuts over those! The frozen blood worms are cleaner and since this is a 20 long quarantine tank i'll just stick with those until I move the fish.

17. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Frozen Blood worms and Frozen Spirulina Infused Brine Shrimp (feed them as much variety as you can so they won't snub it later on).

The one on the right in the bag looks like he'll be impressive (nice roundness to the body and good coloration).

18. jrow8162

Yeah, i'm pretty happy with both of them. They look good this morning too so I think these two will be good. I'm supposed to be getting 2 Hans Discus from azalea aquariums this week. That will bring me up to six again.

19. jrow8162

20. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I thought they were supposed to be red discus?
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but they look Lemony yellow to me?