1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

my over stocked tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater General Discussion' started by angelLuver, Aug 4, 2009.

1. angelLuver

angelLuver Thread Starter New Member

i never add that dawn!!! didnt know i had too..i know.....ROOKIE !

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

go get yourself Prime>>easy to dose, requires very little, and it's pretty much foolproof since I always add extra to my tank and never had issues.

ALWAYS dechlorinate anything you clean too>>ie Filters

Media such as sponges/biowheels should just be swished in the tank water >>Never let biowheels dry out also.

Hint:Good time to clean the stuff that needs swished is a day your going to do a partial water change ;)

Could be why you lost your corydoras :cry:
    Chlorine/ammonia is poison to aquatics

3. angelLuver

I only lost one,but he wasnt doing good when i got home from the store.the others are fine.i always let my water sit out over night and do 20-25% wc the next day..

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Prime...Prime...Prime...You need to get Prime.
    Subtle enough? Lol!

Seachem Prime>> <a class="postlink" href="http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/Prime.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.seachem.com/Products/product ... Prime.html</a>

5. angelLuver

lol K !!!

6. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

trust me, I'm not a product pusher...but the dechlorinator you need.
    You can also use tetra AquaSafe , but I like Prime (uses less and can find in bulk very easy).

7. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Prime is MUCH better than Tetra Aquasafe too! There are a few added benefits to prime. It detoxifies the nasties in your tank while it dechlorinates your new water...

8. angelLuver

got it ! thank you !!

9. Stellaluna

Stellaluna New Member

I would return the dwarf gouramis. They are not going to get along with each other in there. These can be very tough and territorial fish. I have kept them in 15 gallon tank (killed ALL tankmates), a 10 gallon tank (tolerated a few small tankmates) and in a 55 (battled constantly with dominant male angel).

I think you are going to have problems with stress causing illness if they stay (JMO - I am a pessimist!)

10. angelLuver

i think i am just going to get another small tank for the gouramis and give away the dianios..i love my angels the best and still hope to get a blue pinoy and a platinum blue when i get a 55 gallon! i cant help it,i fell in love with angels !

11. LemonDiscus

You have never had Discus obviously! :)

12. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

We all have our a special desire or fondness for a particular species.
    Your's just happens to be Pterophyllum.
    I started keeping aquariums in the mid 60's with seahorses that I ordered out of the back of a magazine I kept Reef tank and most every New World Cichlid you can think of, before working all the way up to Goldfish.

Rick

13. LemonDiscus

Absolutely right cool! That is why the fish-keeping hobby is so great! Variety! Its amazing though (which is why I mention Discus) on how similar they are to Angels! Discus and Angels are almost spitting images of each other in personalities... except Angels tend to be a tad more aggressive (sometimes.. :) )

14. angelLuver

i dont have a big enough tank for a discus YET lem !!! i started out with a few smaller kids of fish..the angels are what lived thru my uncycled ,dump fish and store water in my tank phase... but i love how big mine are getting and how smart they are!! i sware my angels know who their momma is..if i walk up to the tank,they come right to the glass.i can put my arm in the water and move stuff around and they swim right up to me!! my husband thinks im nuts!! i like when they eat food right out of my fingers!!

15. LemonDiscus

Mine did that too! Yes Angels are fun! Discus do the same things too! But yes you do need a bigger tank for Discus to be happy

16. angelLuver

have time for a few questions lem?

17. LemonDiscus

sure thing ;)

18. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Sounds like a pretty darn good plan ;)

19. angelLuver

got a 10 g today.not sure if i should put the 3 danios in it or the 2 dwarf gouramis ...and what else can go in a 10 g with these fish???

20. angelLuver

forgot to tell you,this tank is set up in my 12 year old daughters room..looking for some plants and pretty fish to go in there...