1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

my over stocked tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater General Discussion' started by angelLuver, Aug 4, 2009.

1. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I thought you were rehoming the danios (they'll get too big for a 10g)?

Put the dwarf gouramis in the 10g with the water heated to about 77-78F.

Tankmates: Bright ones would be a school of neon tetras

Decor: A dark substrate such as eco-complete or tahitian moon would show them off nicely along with a black background>>add a small piece of driftwood and something along the lines of a sword and it should look really nice.

For further plant help I need to know what is your lighting on the 10g(wpg) ...and then I can help ya with plants if you like?

Ps. Another bright way to decorate it would be dark substrate...dark black background..and those flourescent colored caves that you can get at wal-mart for like $1.97
    Quick link showing the funky flourescent decor I am talking about--> <a class="postlink" href="http://www.keenzo.com/showproduct.asp?M=AQUARIUM_PRODUCTS_ABLEE758&ID=1360137" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.keenzo.com/showproduct.asp?M ... ID=1360137</a>

2. angelLuver

angelLuver Thread Starter New Member

they are still in the 20g for now.... but i need to move some of the fish out of the 20g...the box the lightbulbs came in say 15 w..so x 2..just a cheap 39$ set up..

3. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

15 watts x 2 bulbs that are 15 watts making a total of 30 watts over your 10g?
    (sounds too high?)

4. angelLuver

thats what came with the set up...it look kind of dull?!!! like yellowy? but it will due,for now.and the filter is so crappy!!! going to go by another aqua clear tomorrow,the one on my 20 works great !after the new filter i will get a glass top and new lights like i have on my 20g.but i am more worried about the filter first.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

XD angel you should just buy another tank for all your fish if you're gonna get the filters and other stuff. Your gouramis and danios will make it with crap filters and lights, they're tuff :[ Best idea is giving the angels as much space as possible :) I've never seen a Discus at a fish store, I wonder how many people keep them... The'yre so round and Disky XD

6. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

The problem with Discus are they are sensitive... Pet stores WONT guarantee or insure they will live once you get them home... SOME smaller local owned fish stores DO carry them... they are hard to find though... especially wilds.. I only know 1 store in VA that sells wilds (2-3 hours away depending on traffic)

7. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

There is one high end fish shop in the Tampa/St. Pete area that deals in Discus and they all come from a local breeder/importer (Mike Jacobs) who actually specializes in Apistos. so they are hard to come by and can be very pricey

Rick

8. angelLuver

off to my lfs to but a new filter and some sand for my 10g !!going to put the gouramis there.

9. aznfire888

aznfire888 New Member

the local Big Al's here in Richmond, BC carries them year-round...$60CAD+ for 4" depending on type

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

o.o I live maybe an hours drive from Richmond, maybe they'l have better fish there :/ The only fish store that sells marine fish is one in china town and it takes a long time to get there =_= I want to check out another fish store that I've been stalking, but whenever I can go it's always closed -B- stupid random hours and closed days *cry*

11. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

wenster : aznfire888 was talking about Richmond, British Columbia, Canada.
    don't want to see you drive an hour away from home looking for a store that's not there.

12. aznfire888

aznfire888 New Member

thx buzz i guess i shouldve been more clear

13. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

your welcome

14. LemonDiscus

Here are a few in Richmond VA

Fin and Feather - Small selection of Stendker Discus (Hans Discus) full grown and fairly cheap for their size... $79 @ 4-5" (Monday - Friday: 10 am - 8 pm Saturday: 10 am - 6 pm Sunday: Noon - 5 pm )

Azalea Aquariums - More expensive but a MUCH larger selection than Fin and Feather (Monday - Friday: Noon - 8 pm Saturday: Noon - 6 pm Sunday: Noon - 5 pm ) Has a pretty good selection of Marine Fish

Outside Richmond WORTH driving to:

Animal Jungle - HUGE selection of Discus of assorted types. They have Wilds and Hans Discus. Their prices are WELL worth the extra drive! you can sometimes catch them with sales on Discus for $20... you have to keep up with the sales on their website @ <a class="postlink" href="http://www.animaljungle.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.animaljungle.com</a>

They also have a GIANT selection of Marine Fish! I mean HUGE!!

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

oops ^^; I really am awful with geography, I should've realized that there'd be more than one Richmond XD

16. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

Wiki list 26 Richmond's in USA and 8 in Canada

Rick

17. LemonDiscus

That A LOT of Richmonds! :)

Only 1 in the US is a State Capitol though... that would be Richmond VA....

18. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

The first of next month I have to go to Richmond VA. for a couple of weeks as part of my continuing education. Maybe I will get the chance to checkout some of the shops.

Rick

19. LemonDiscus

There are a few decent ones... I INSIST that Animal Jungle in VA Beach is MUCH more worth the visit though!

Azalea Aquariums IF you are in Richmond has some nice oddball specimens... (he carries Wild Angels, Discus (Stendker), Freshwater Rays, a nice saltwater section and tons of other fish too!

20. Stellaluna

Stellaluna New Member

To the OP, please be prepared for much difficulty with two Dwarf Gouramis in a 10g long term. I'm just sayin..... I have a lot of experience with these lovely little fishes!

Also, the last time I was in Azalea they had a LOT of dead fish and poor selection, and I was wondering what the heck was going on. I need to stop back in and check on things again, however, since that is NOT typical. I would be sorely disappointed on that day if I had driven in from elsewhere.

Another place worth a road trip is P.A.W. in Lynchburg. It rivals Animal Jungle, though just from the fish department point of view (it does not have all the parrots and such).