1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

My Planted 55gal

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by jasonG, May 21, 2010.

1. jasonG

jasonG Thread Starter New Member

2. jasonG

CRAP wrg forum ....LOL please move.

3. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

fixed, but why's the water hazy looking?
    besides that it's very nice looking. love the ram!

4. jasonG

I did a 30% water change... It still hasent cleared up really. I added water clear, what else can I do.

5. nossie

nossie Member

It'll probably clear up soon :) But it could be, if your tank is new, that it's cycling. Then the beneficial bacteria may be clouding the water a little. Lovely setup btw! :D

6. WhiteGloveAquatics

WhiteGloveAquatics New Member

let it go its course.

Nice looking tank. are you using root ferts since its in sand?

I like that 48" t5 set up, I got a 36" t5ho on my 52g fbh

7. jasonG

Liq fert....thinking of Co2 as well sometime down the road. There is Florite under the sand as well.

8. WhiteGloveAquatics

how thick is the substrate layers? I did this and ended up damn near nuking my tank but I had 100# of flourite then 50# of sand on top so my layers were thick and went anarobic on me. only lost one of 40 fish so I was OK but very angry at not using common sense.

I have DIY Co2 on my 52fbh(same as yours but a hex front instead of right angles.) and it works very well and very consistant although I am not sure of this new powerhead as its diffuser, the bubbles are much larger then with my penguin 660.

9. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

test it and see what the readings come up...it may be still cycling or going through a mini cycle.
    Other than that if it's just hazy and not looking algae'ish the only thing you can do is a high partial and dose it with something like Seachem Clarity or Kent's Pro Clear and give it a day.

10. mancave1

mancave1 Member

Looks Good

11. jasonG

Update I just purchased me my first Canister Filter, it is a Odyssea CFS4
    Dimensions - 9.50" x 8.50" x 16.75"
    Parts and tubing add 4.00" in height
    4 stage filter media
    Includes all parts - Plug and Play
    Flow rate: 300 GPH
    Includes all filtration media
    Motor head color: black
    Body color: transparent green
    Assembly diagram on box, no manual
    Suitable for freshwater and marine

CANT wait... and what I will do is end up using the HOB's that I currently have on the 55 and move it to my Cichlid project.

I AM so excited.

12. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

Congrates on the filter

13. jasonG

Thanks.... I do however have to get some sponges to cover up my inlets....I did have 2 Kuhlis now I am down to 1, however my LFS called over the weekend to tell me my 4 NEW Kuhlis have arrived.

14. WhiteGloveAquatics

Are you sure you are down to 1 (did you find a body?) Them buggers hide like no other especially with sand.

I had the same substrate set up and it didnt work well for me down the road it became very unstable, I think the sand cap really capped off the flourite. I cleaned it one day and my ammonia went from 0 to 8.0 instantly. I lost a few fish but had another tank set up that they moved into rather hastily.

also, in that size tank think about upping the number of kuhlli's to around 10-12.

15. jasonG

OH I heard it...I knew the minute I heard it WHAT it was.

I would like to stick with just 5, only because I have a lot of bottom feeders. 6 corys, Dojo and then 5 Kuhli...plus I am planning on adding maybe 2-4 YoYos.

I know I will rarely see the Kuhlis, as I haven't seen my 1 since I did a good cleaning the weekend before last- and I know he stays under the wood.

16. WhiteGloveAquatics

I got my sponges from ebay seller is aquatic magic. the yellow ones.

Ok cool, most people think of them as loaches which are almost always on the move, Heck I didnt know I bred them till the fry were a little over an inch and a half long.

Kuhllis do best in huge schools or shoals. Its not uncommon to pick up a creek bed leaf in asia and find hundreds piled up. I sold 11 of mine to Dawn and maybe 8 or so were bred here in my 52. I thought I left 3 in my tank but last night I saw a good dozen of them possibly more, Last time they all came out it was to teach the new ones the tank and stuff.

I love em.
    how can you not love a face like this.
    ai43.tinypic.com_2saj9jn.jpg

you jsut have one dojo? how does it get along with the smaller cousins?

Id really think about adding double what you want in there, yes they are bottom feeders but from what youve listed as bottom feeders you only have a few burrowers.

Do you keep snails in this tank at all for sand filtering?

17. jasonG

The Dojo could care less about them, LOL (also Dojo's are one of the few Loaches that can be keep in singles)... he is obviously 4 times the size of the Kuhlis. After letting the 3 new ones out of the bag last night only 1 really stayed out swimming high and low and from side to side just darting ALL over the tank. The others found refuge under the wood.

I know I have a couple of SMALL very small snails in the tank but that was by accident from some plants they had attached themselves to. I have considered some MTS but others tell me don't bother because they can get in the filtration and really screw it up.

18. WhiteGloveAquatics

Ive been breeding MTS for years, I havent caught any in my filters at all. prefilters are your best friends.

If you want/need MTS let me know I got a tank full of porkers.

MTS are a larger snail species and unless there is no prefilter on the intake and only if they are pretty much under 2 weeks old they can get in the strainers but not thru the foam.

I keep several AC20's on the tank with open intakes and dont have a problem with that.

In a planted tank the MTS is your best friend. They do not overpopulate, they breed to the tank conditions and bear live young not eggs. AND they are mainly nocturnal which is even better. They also will come to the top of the water if water quality is less then ideal. I think of them as coal miner canaries for the planted tank as they will show signs of distress before the plant do and well before the fish do.

19. jasonG

THEN I would LOVE to get some..My new Canister will be coming in this week so I wont have the HOB any longer.

Would 10 be a good starting NUMBER?

20. WhiteGloveAquatics

Yes. ten is a good number but 20 would be better. I got thousands about 1/2-1" long and about 1/4-1/2" around, I make em fat and big for my food source customers.

I put a sponge prefilter like these on the inlets
    <a class="postlink" href="http://cgi.ebay.com/4-Aquarium-Filter-Sponge-4-Cheery-Crystal-Shrimp-Fish_W0QQitemZ220618141436QQcategoryZ20755QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286.m7QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D2%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D7936197886558403338#ht_1412wt_911" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://cgi.ebay.com/4-Aquarium-Filter-S ... 1412wt_911</a>

what canister are you getting?