1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

My Planted Endler Tank (Virginia)

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by Anthony, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Anthony

Anthony Thread Starter Active Member

:) I bet the Endlers would love it though, especially the fry.

2. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

I would think so. I was going to move some into the 20 gallon tank I was planning on using for them for that reason.

3. Anthony

Okay so here's a video of my new tank. I checked my Purigen and it's turning brown already so it is absorbing the tannis from the driftwood. I think the "cloudy" look is from the light. It's a 10k and Actinic fixture so I think because of the lighting there's a lot of the Actinicness (I know that's not a word) being reflected off the background/substrate. If you look at the top view of the tank it looks pretty clear. I'll be replacing the bulb with a dual 10k soon so that should fix the issue, hopefully. I'll finish buying new plants sometime this week.

If you cannot read that one part in the middle of the video here's the direct link. <a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeDCwIIBoQw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeDCwIIBoQw</a>

[youtube]<object width="225" height="144"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DeDCwIIBoQw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DeDCwIIBoQw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="225" height="144"></embed></object>[/youtube]

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Was that a bristlenose pleco and a siamese algae eater I spotted in your vid?Hey Anthony, how come your using 10,000K despite having plants? You probably should be using 6,700K full spectrum to stimulate photosynthesis.
    On a side note my lfs was telling me you don't count the actinics when you use them over a planted tank for your wpg lighting...is this true? Just curious.

5. Anthony

No, there are only Endlers and Otto Cats in the tank.

I'm not big on 6700 bulbs. On my Vermont Endler tank I'm running the same lighting setup currently on this tank. It's a dual PC bulb (10k and Actinic) and as you can see from that tank the plants look pretty good, to me at least.

I would say yes, that's true.

6. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

good to know, I currently have 6700K cf bulbs on my 90 (4 to be exact)...I was always told not to use any other type of bulb over a planted tank. Good to know/hear that someone else has and has had success in doing so. Especially since I was considering using 2 67000K or 10000K and then using 2 50/50 actinics on the back. I think for now I'll stick to the 6700K's, but if I start to have issues I'll definitely change it up. In the past I was having a real issue with spot algae and this very short hair like algae that would come off the edges of some of the leaves. LFS said to add the siamese algae eaters to take care of it...wouldn't know if they worked since the hubby did me the "favor" of bleaching my plants which killed them. Reason for all of the new ones.
    What do you think the cause of that type of algae could be from so I can try to avoid it this time?

7. Anthony

This is just my way of thinking because I avoid 6700 bulbs but I'd say that's the cause of the algae. The Endler tank in VT had very minimum tank maintenance done on it while I was away and the only algae problem was on the back of the tank and that was just your normal green algae.

8. Anthony

Not sure if you saw Lemon's post from a few days ago but he's having an algae problem running 5000, 6700 and 2800's and maybe another type.
    <a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.theexoticfish.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1023" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1023</a>

9. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

yeah, I did catch it..cyanobacteria is a bit different (I dealt with that when I had saltwater-excess nutrients and phospates were said to be the cause...water changes, turkey baster blasting the stuff off the rock, turning lighting back, etc.)...I hate lighting issues! It's such a grey area as to how much, what type, Co2 expense or not. It's literally driving me nuts! I'm sure lemon can second that sadly.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Anthony, what are the color of the background and the substrate? It looks like theres a crucial reflection comming from both.

11. Anthony

White background and white crushed coral substrate.

12. LemonDiscus

Yes Dawn I can.... Like you I have been told and read large amounts that say 5000 - 6700 Lights are what you need for 8-10 hours a day. Also 1.5 watts per gallon! I did all of that and wound up with algae. There is something that I missed. Fixing my lights on the new timer setting seems to help a bit

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

The recommended lighting is between 6700 and 10000k although I have found that it really is just aesthetics. 1.5 wpg will work for low light plants but not ALL plants. Algae is usually attributed to something being out of kilter within the tank, CO2 helps with algae control also. I also think it is important to remember that the WPG rule doesn't work on smaller tanks or larger tanks.

14. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Mine have always been on a timer. I originally was told the algae was from phospates and sold some Seachem Phosgaurd to stick in the emperor grey cartridges---let me tell you this stuff does find it's way out of those grey cartridges! And the little balls fall under the filter wheel and jam it. PLUS I really didn't notice any difference whatsoever after using it. I still have a big bottle of it so I figure it can't hurt much (but I am going to get a fine mesh media bag to put it in and just drop it in the back of the emperor 400's so it's easier to change out.

15. Anthony

I use that in my saltwater tank and I can say that it works for me. I kind of hope I begin to have a small algae problem in this tank because I have the 4 Otto's in there. I've been opening the blinds to let the sun shine on the tank for a few hours during the day. Right now I'm supplementing their diet with sinking wafers but they don't seem to be paying attention to them.

16. LemonDiscus

Yeah, ottos really prefer the algae. Again, I can give you some algae if you want too! :) I got plenty of it!!!

17. Anthony

:) Just scrape it off into a baggie.

18. Anthony

So I've got some good news amongst the horrific experience I've had with my saltwater tank lately (Am I over exaggerating ? :)) I've finally got the Otto Cats to eat the wafers ! Just when I get them interested, some small areas of algae start to grow on the substrate. :confused:

Also, most of the daughter plants on my Mellon Sword have grown roots. Now I have to figure out how to remove them so I can get them planted.

19. Anthony

Here's the first picture from the new 30 gallon long Endler tank. It's one of the new fry that's less than 24 hours old.
    DSCF1117.jpg

20. Anthony

Here are a few more pictures. I've got a lot more plants to get still. :confused: Sorry about the reflection on the tank, the sun is out today and is shinning right in the windows in the sun room.
    DSCF1002.JPG DSCF1119.jpg DSCF1121.jpg DSCF1122.jpg DSCF1125.jpg