1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

My Planted Endler Tank (Virginia)

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by Anthony, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Do you have root tabs in under those swords? Usually when plants are sending out aerial roots it means they are trying to suck up nutrients from the water column that they are not getting through the roots. Although they do look healthy:)

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Wow, it's really looking good. I like the background, initially when I heard white I thought bright white as in showerboard ....but whatever that is your using is quite nice :)

3. Anthony

Anthony Thread Starter Active Member

Nope I don't. When I purchased the plants they already had the runners on them and the daughter plants, the daughter plants just didn't have roots like they do now. Even the main plant has been spouting new leaves like crazy. I ordered my ferts yesterday so I'll start using them as soon as they get here.

Thanks. I'm not sure what a shower board is but what I used is a white shower curtain. I have it on the more matte side and not the shiny side.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

The plants will love you for the ferts and you should see the aerial roots start to diminish after adding them. Swords are HEAVY root feeders so I would suggest the root tabs along with the normal flourish products:)

5. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Lol, almost as good as my $1.00 plastic party tablecloth on mine. Haha!
    Showerboard is melamine board...it's called shower board because you can put a few pieces together to create shower since it's waterproof and mildew resistant. You can find it at most hardware stores like homedepot and lowes.

6. Anthony

That's what I got. :D I'm also going to try Big Al's Multi-Purpose Plant Food Supplement as I've heard good things about it.

7. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Never heard of that one. With your size of tank I would think if your not doing co2 I'd go with something such as flourish excel and possibly flourish iron if need be. Let me know how it goes with the big al's supp.!

8. Anthony

Probably no cO2 on this tank although I did use cO2 on my 20 Gallon Endler tank up north in the beginning but noticed no positive to it. I will be using Flourish Excel like always. Here's the description on Big Al's stuff.

9. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

hmm..sounds pretty good. Again, once you do a run with it let me know if you see any difference. Always looking for something easy to use with the lowest amount of chemicals as possible to add (some of the smells trigger the asthma-YUCK!)

10. Anthony

Will do. ;) I would imagine after using it for a few weeks I'll see some type of change, good or bad.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

really off topic, but Dawn, I noticed you said that certain smells trigger your asthma, I also have asthma and I was wondering if you have ever noticed that green apple flavors do anything to you breathing wise? I hope that makes sense.

12. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

<--not an apple eater? I take it they make yours worse/better?
    Does make sense as far as smells go...Clorox literally makes my airways seize though. Also, the only household cleaner that I have come to find doesn't make me feel tight is Mr. Clean Orange scented or Lemon (orange has to be well watered and not strong as in pure concentrate).

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Im talking about like green apple flavored candies, if I eat them, I instantly close off and start coughing, its weird

14. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

hmm, never ate green apple candies? Maybe it's an ingredient sensitivity that's flaring you. Mine triggers with smells, extreme stress, drastic temp changes with rain being a big problem most of the time, and illness, and lets not forget those environmental triggers like pets (shh! don't tell my allergist)! LMdao!

15. Anthony

Here's an update on the tank. Haven't added any other plants yet but I did cut all the daughter plants off and plant them. I also removed the prefilter because it was getting a lot of algae and gunk on it.
    DSCF1156.jpg DSCF1153.jpg

16. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Sorry, liked it better with salt!

It seems like you are coming along.

17. Anthony

:confused: I know. :)

I'm thinking about just adding some crypt (red and green) and just keeping those three plants in the tank. (Crypt, the swords and one banana plant) At the rate these swords are sprouting new plants I'll have a tank full of them in a few months. :eek:

18. LemonDiscus

How did you get the babies off? Did you leave the daughter chutes on the plant? I got one of those yesterday from Fin and Feather.

19. Anthony

I cut the stalk thing down as far as I could then just cut the daughters off leaving as little of the stalk as possible. The daughter plants had roots already.

20. LemonDiscus

And new stalks came back?