1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

My toads have been calling like crazy!

Discussion in 'Invertebrates' started by California Cowgirl, Aug 3, 2009.

1. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

your toads look really good :D i'm going to have to show them to my son, he really likes toads/frogs.

2. buzz4520

i showed my son the pics this morning and he said that you've got really cool toads and of course he wants some..haha

3. California Cowgirl

California Cowgirl Thread Starter New Member

haha their really easy to take take care of, they don't need much. I only have a 10 gallon for them and that's enough for 2 toads. I would read up on them like you already have, but they just need a a section for land and a section for water, some and some hides. They like the cooler climate so i don't have a heater for them. The hardest part for me with the toads is taking care of their food. I've tweezer trained them to eat crickets, but they also like to hunt

4. buzz4520

a couple years ago we had got 3 albino african clawed frogs, which my son had just fell in love with, and like a nitwit didn't research first and took the word a the person at the lfs we put them in with our oscars. he said that they would do ok because the oscar were about 4 inch and they would not bother them and they would "grow up" together. it lasted about 2 months, the frogs were a pricey meal. we've got a 10gal tank that's empty and just sitting in the 125gal stand and thinking about getting him a couple more of the clawed frogs.

5. California Cowgirl

clawed frogs get HUGE! i remember seeing that like 2 clawed need a 50 gall to themselves

6. California Cowgirl

also as a suggestion, if you want to fill that 10 gallon with a fully aquatic frog, a frog that's similar to the clawed, but heaps smaller is the african dwarf frog. I had 5 in a 10 gallon , here's a thread with my old frogs - A couple of happy frogs tank - they dont eat fish flakes, but they eat foos that sink to the bottom, so i got mine bloodworms, and they loved them

7. buzz4520

they can get from the size of a baseball to the size of a softballs, but i've seen pics of a few that has got as big as a small dinner plate.

i meant to say that we are looking into getting the dwarf african frogs not the clawed frogs due to right now we only have a 10gal to keep them in. i all ready know that they won't work with the oscars and i don't think they will do good with my african cichlids either.

8. buzz4520

checked out your thread and they look really nice.

9. California Cowgirl

ohhh haha ok good :D

10. California Cowgirl

yea they were, only reason why i got rid of them was because they pooped so damn much. I couldn't keep their tank clean to save my life. So be prepared of like daily maintence of cleaning up the poop, they poop like rabbits, and that's the reason why i will never own dwarf frogs again, i felt so bad for them because i couldn't keep up with their poop, and because of that, i broke down and gave them to petco. so just be prepared, or have a good method of what you use to pick up their droppings

11. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

awe, the froggy is soo cute! Reminds me of my old one I had (mine was a bit darker green on the top).

Looks really healthy!

12. California Cowgirl

thanks! i just changed their setup, i was tired of the river rock. My plan is to get to plants in the corners of the water bowl, behind the hide, and have phothos draping from the back, but i'm broke right now because of the new tank, so their going to have to wait, i just spent $17 bucks n the bedding and ltttle hide

13. California Cowgirl

already the dish is covered in eco complete, but i figure its easy enough to change the bowl twice a day so im not worried
    002.JPG 003.JPG 009.JPG 011.JPG

14. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Lol. I like the bedding covered frog.
    When I had mine (mind you I knew next to nothing about them)..mine lived in more water and less land. Do you have to change the bedding/eco in there often?

15. California Cowgirl

lol i'll have to wait and see :D i just changed their tank over to bedding this afternoon :) i was tired of rock work and wanted to be ablet work with plants. But up until now, they were in more water than land.

16. buzz4520

looks like their having fun and making a mess of things... :)

17. California Cowgirl

Lol yup they are, one refused to eat tonight, even with shoving crickets in front of it's mouth. I think it may be just getting used to his new home. They other one ate. They both love the new hide, their constantly in it or on top of it

18. buzz4520

hopefully the one that didn't eat was due to readjustment of the surroundings.

19. California Cowgirl

Yea that's what I'm thinking also