1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Nano tank fish

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fish Forum' started by NoctuVide, Jan 4, 2009.

1. NoctuVide

NoctuVide Thread Starter Member

I also have a question about fish. In such a small nano tank, I've read that I pretty much I can only keep a goby, a couple small shrimp and some snails. Are there any hardy gobies I can use as my starter fish, or should I start with the shrimp/snails? Or is there another hardy fish that is able to survive in a small tank?

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

What size is the tank again ?

3. NoctuVide

10 gallon

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Yep with that size tank you'll likely have to stick to gobies, shrimp, snails and some small corals. One fish that I can think of that isn't a goby that may work is the Yellow Stripe Clingfish.

5. NoctuVide

I also saw some videos on youtube of people keeping clown fish in their 10gals, but I really don't want a run of the mill "ooh look, a nemo fish!" fish... lol

6. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

LoL Yeah, they can be kept in a 10 gallon when they're younger but full grown they need a larger tank.

7. NoctuVide

So a goby it will probably be... I didn't even think of doing coral...I didn't know if they'd be ok in that size tank. Any ideas on the kind of coral that would work in there?

8. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

You can do some mushrooms, different polyps... Basically corals that stay low on the rocks.

9. NoctuVide

I'll have to look into that. It's funny, just with starting up this little saltwater tank, my girlfriend wants a larger saltwater tank already, and is already talking about how we'll have to save up some money to do a 100gallon. She's dieing to get some pajama Cardinals lol

10. lostanime

lostanime New Member

Definitely do your research before picking a specific type, but damsels as a rule of thumb are fairly hardy (and make great cycling fish) and some don't get as large as others

11. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Yeah, it doesn't take long before you want a larger tank. :)

12. lostanime

lostanime New Member

;) :)

13. NoctuVide

Yea, she also wants to eventually try and see if we can do seahorses. It's funny how much I've gotten her into aquariums! I told her we can try anything, as long as she has a hand in their maintenance and care as well.

14. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Good luck when you try sea horses.

15. NoctuVide

that's going to be an eventual if at all thing...I've heard they are extremely hard to take care of, and you have to make sure that they are actually feeding before you buy them. Sounds a little too delicate to me.

16. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Yeah, I had a pair years ago. That didn't go too well unfortunately.

17. lostanime

lostanime New Member

We'll be trying soon... from what we're reading they are definitely very difficult with specific needs (high water turnover but very low velocity current, small enough tank to see the very easily hidden species but large enough tank to adequately deal with bio-loads, peculiar dietary needs, and extremely docile or non-existent tank-mates)

Please keep us up to date with your experiences if you attempt, I'd love to follow your endeavors with this!

18. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

lol yea i wanted some sea horeses to but my salt water tank is kind of to much trouble i want to sell mines and stick with fresh water rather save up for a motoro sting ray breed it then get rare fish breed it and get more money then start a store and be set for life :) :) :) :) :) :) and theres alot of white worms in my tank good or bad?

19. showjyr

showjyr New Member

White worms in your salt tank or freshy?

20. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Salt I assume... How big are they ?