1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

"Natural" tanks - no filter

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by Stellaluna, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I would love to try it, but I really like the glassy look of overfiltered water. It would also help my pockets out when it comes power bill time!

2. Stellaluna

Stellaluna Thread Starter New Member

There is no harm in trying it. Set it up and let it run for several months and decide what you think. It is not much of a commitment, and if you decide it is not for you, then you have another experience under your belt. Put the fish back in your other tank and go back to basics. You might be surprised at how clear the water is.

It is always good to have an extra smallish tank around anyway for a hospital tank or quarantine tank, so you've not wasted anything.

When I set up my 150 (I am now thinking I'm going to dig out my pressurized CO2 equipment for this tank, *sigh* need more power strips) I was sure the meter reader was going to wonder if I had some sort of illegal hydroponic plant growing operation, since I am sure the little dial is spinning faster these days. :eek:

3. caronsd

caronsd New Member

I'm doing this as soon as the summer starts up here.. I think I'll use a 5 gallon with a trio of guppies and see what happens...

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I may do a pond like this over the summer, but how many plants are needed before you dont have to have a filter?

5. Stellaluna

Hmm. I don't know how to quantify it, but I'd say that at least 60% of the tank is taken up with plants. Does that make sense?

I could not tell you about a pond, I'd just jam it up with plants of varying heights and growth habits, leaving some room for fish, and be sure no floating plants blocked light to the other aquatic plants.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Ahh crap I didnt even think about that, I was hoping to put the pond in my detached garage aka little sunlight if any. Ill have to rethink that idea, so basically you just stuff the pond, tank, etc, slam full of plants?

7. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I'd think fish would be needed to provide the fertilizers, right Stel.?

8. Stellaluna

Right - put plants all around the sides and across the back without gaps, low plants in front, etc. Then be conservative stocking it. You DO need fish in there, but not as many as you might put in the tank if there was less room taken up by plants.

You can see how packed with plants the 5gal in my pic is, but that might be a bit too much. The bowl filled in more after that pic was taken, with the aquatic clover filling in the bottom, but you would not want more than one fish in that size container - it is just too small for any fish, though a betta would probably be content. I dosed a few drops of Flourish in the bowl as well as in the 5 gal just stir it in with your hand or a spoon or something. Even with a decent fish load plants do much better with ferts. I used Fluorite substrate in both.

9. ontheairship

ontheairship New Member

I want to setup a planted tank for my betta. I want to try your "natural" method as it's going on my night stand and I don't want to take up alot of space. Can I use a 2.5 gallon successfully? What kind of plants, substrate, lights, and chemicals do you recommend? and if you happen to know, should I get a female to keep my little guy company? Thank you?

10. ontheairship

ontheairship New Member

i meant thank you! lol no question mark

11. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

lol. there's an edit option at I believe the bottom right hand corner. I kinda like it with the ? mark. Hehe!

12. Stellaluna

What kind of lighting do you plan on? This will make a difference. For a 2.5 gallon you'll need to stick with small plants (look in my gallery at the natural bowl - that is 2 gallons) like java moss, Anubias nana "petite" and Cryptocorine species "crypts". These are all low light plants but will not overwhelm a small tank like this as they grow. Let me know what is available to you plant-wise and I can advise you.

Also, do not get a friend for your betta. In a tank like this, "there can be only one," so to speak, and even if you managed to have a mated pair, that is not enough water for more than one fish. Alternatively, you could have a dwarf frog, or several shrimps and several snails, but not more than one fish.

I'd do a very small daily water change on a tank that size, just like a cup of water every day.

Give things a try and let me know how it goes!

13. ontheairship

ontheairship New Member

Alright thanks alot! Basically I can get whatever plants are available at petsmart or I can special order plants from petland. As far as tank mates I think I'll stay away from the frog but I'll take your suggestion with the shrimp and snails. I have giant apple snails right now in what will soon be my unknown size saltwater setup. Is there anything that wont get so big?

As far as lights I'm completely open to suggestion. What do you think would be best? And substrate? Thanks again

14. ontheairship

ontheairship New Member

Thanks! ;)

15. Stellaluna

Ramshorn snails won't get so big, also nerite snails if you can find them. Substrate would ideally be a plant substrate like Fluorite or Eco-Complete, but it is not absolutely required.

There are many plants at the LFS that would not work in a small tank like this, so choose carefully. The plants I list above would be fine.

There is something available called a "palm" light, I think, that is meant to clamp onto a betta bowl or something, and it has a wee tiny compact fluorescent bulb, or just a desk lamp with a pigtail fluorescent bulb (6500 K spectrum) in it would work fine.

16. ontheairship

ontheairship New Member

Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it!

I think I'll go ahead and do 5.5gallons because I found one at work that no one knows about :D

I grabbed a wood shrimp today that is hanging out in my betta bowl with an air pump. Would he be ok? I should be getting the tank later tonight or tomorrow and I'll be diving right in!

I have some smooth "river stones" that will be going in, preferably stacked with java moss growing in between and over them and I'll definitely be getting the anubias you recommended. Are there certain "crypts" that I should be looking for? Even is there another name for them?

Again thank you so much! I work with fish but I don't know much about live plants or bettas so you've been a big help as far as getting an idea in my head of what I'm doing.

17. Stellaluna

I'd start out with the shrimp alone and let him cycle the tank for his bioload before adding anything else. Give it a month.

When I say "crypts" I mean Cryptocorine genus, of which the most common will be C. wendtii. Try to get baby plants if you can. People in the hobby call them "crypts" for short.

18. ontheairship

ontheairship New Member

Last question and I'll be on my way out. Do I cycle with the plants? I'm sure it sounds dumb but again I don't know alot about live plants. I was elbow deep in koi and cichlids today but plants are not my strong point. I'll have to take some pictures of the tanks at work because they're pretty cool.

19. Stellaluna

You can run a cycle with plants, but plants won't "cycle" the tank (I am not sure if that was your question). The plants will not mind the cycle. You'll be cycling the tank with the shrimp. Do frequent water changes and keep ammonia and nitrite levels low in the typical manner.

20. ontheairship

ontheairship New Member

question answered! Thanks! ;)