1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

need decoration ideas for 30g

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by Leslie, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Leslie

Leslie Thread Starter New Member

need ideas on decor for my 30 gal

I am taken out the rocks that it can with( blue and purple). and i needed some ideas. Something that doesnt cost a whole lot.

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Personally I use crushed coral in all my freshwater tanks. Substrate is a personal preference. If you're going to keep plants in the tank you may want to look into getting a plant substrate like Seachem Flourite.

3. Leslie

Posted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:30 pm
    I will look into that. i am also looking for some decorations like the driftwood or something. I want a natural look.

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Posted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:32 pm
    Driftwood would definitely give you a natural look.

5. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Posted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:39 pm
    CHEAP SUBSTRATES: Pea Gravel can be found at Wal-mart>>Play Sand (check it) can be found at Lowes>>Silica Sand or "blasting sand" can be found at a local quarry---just if you use these RINSE, RINSE, and RINSE again in freshwater.

6. Leslie

Posted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:39 pm
    I like driftwood but i wanted to know if there was any other ideas.

7. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Posted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:47 pm
    For the extremely cheap route you can use Terra cotta planters found at wal-mart as they can make nice caves OR plant holders, you can do some slate and build it up which can be found at your local hardware store, you can do cholla wood--anchor it by placing it a few inches into your substrate and know that larger pieces will float until they fully absorb the water, pvc tubing/connectors that can also be found at the hardware store (usually in the plumbing section), i've even used a porcelain scouring pad holder that was a fish (can be seen in my photos of the 90g african cichlid tank).

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Posted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:17 pm
    For a natural look i wouldnt suggest the pots, I would suggest rocks, slates, and driftwood along with plants.

9. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:44 am
    Cheap substrates - My way

1 50lb Play Sand from Lowes - REALLY fine (I would buy a bag and use this as a base in a planted aquarium. IT IS MESSY! Even after several rinses. You will not need the whole bag, put down 1/2") - $5

1 bag of Pool Filter Sand from Wal Mart - It is MUCH easier to work with as the sand is much coarser but still not coarse enough to hurt any fish and only needs 1 light rinse. Add this to the top layer to help hold the plants down, about a 1/2" - 3/4" depending on preference. - $8

Deco:
    Rocks are cheap as you can go rock hunting for them. LOOK UP AND READ THE ROCKS YOU GET as some alter water parameters.

Driftwood you may need to buy. You can go driftwood hunting on a creek/river/stream/lake but you need to clean the driftwood thoroughly. You can bake, boil or bleach the driftwood. Bleaching is how I did it because my driftwood was too big for my oven or a pot.... not the recommended though. Baking and boiling are best, specifically boiling as it will help the wood absorb water quicker.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:07 pm
    perfect lemon!

11. LemonDiscus

Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:50 pm
    That is what is in my tank :cool:

Gotta be careful again with the rocks and the wood..... careful selection and thorough cleaning and it works.

Plus it looks more natural than that Malaysian wood. (I like branchy wood)

IF you do this DONT take any wood that looks like it homes ANY critters (termites etc...) Also be sure you dont get certain woods. You want to add all of the outside stuff and run your tank a while before stocking. You have to take your time with this way of doing your tank!

12. Leslie

Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:07 pm
    I live near alot of lakes and creeks. I may go look around there. what type of woods cant go into a tank is there a place with a list, or do you know. also for rocks. I know of a place that has very pretty river rocks.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:10 pm
    Rocks: if you pour vinegar on them and they fizz they will alter the water parameters aka prolly shouldnt use them.

Driftwood: be very careful when looking for this along the river and creek beds, many species of poisonous snakes and spiders like to call these pieces of wood home, and you dont like people coming into your house you dont know do you? Just be mindful that you are taking an animals potential home so if you take it please use it! Also, I have read that pine species will eventually become toxic in a tank, so stay away from anything that smells "piny". You also want to watch out for rotten wood, anything soft and mushy, leave it. Look for the hardest heaviest pieces.

14. Leslie

Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:30 pm
    I know all about the little critters that like rivers and creeks. I grew up on a farm. which was 5 minutes (walkin distance) from a lake and a creek. also delt with copper heads everyday!! when you walk outta your house and to the far side of a porch just to see a limb hanging down close to your head and notice there is a big snake looking you dead in the eyes. we had to watch where we played. there was snakes every where. mostly because we had like a side of a hill with nothing but ricks and big giants rocks in our front yard.

but thanks for the help on which can be used and which cant!!

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:15 pm
    O ok, didnt realize you were a pro.

16. LemonDiscus

Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:19 pm
    Yeah I heard cedar and pine, bad. No rotton stuff like he said.

And yes, the vinegar test is what you do. Quartz is good, along with slate. Limestone is a BIG no. I go with washed river rocks myself.... looks more like it belongs in water.

17. LemonDiscus

Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:20 pm
    Such a animalatarian ;)

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:21 pm
    always.

19. Leslie

Posted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:15 pm
    I am glade you remeinded me. it is cold so now i might find a snake under a some wood. thanks. and no not a pro just remebered all the crazy snake stuff.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Posted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:56 pm
    shoot anyone that grew up around all those rivers and stuff has got to have some great knowledge of the area!