1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

need help deciding types of plants to use

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plants & Planted Tanks' started by Anonymous, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Bought a 110gl for peacock bass
    My peacock bass are getting a new home this Thursday and I wanted to put driftwood and live plants in the tank... any input on live plants verses fake. There are two tinfoil barbs and will be adding a sting ray .

2. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Oh forgot about the dino eel to.

3. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I'd go with live plants to help keep the nitrates in the tank down.

4. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Awesome, how big is the tank you eventually plan to get for them? Its always so exciting to get a new tank!

5. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

We are hoping to get 3 years out of the 110 and then there is a 300gl tank we looked at ,4ftx4ft. Its different and we have to take down a wall when we get that one = O

6. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Thanks Anthony, any up keep with the plants?

7. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Depending on what you get some fertilizers and proper lighting, MAYBE co2 injection.

8. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

We didnt skimp on lighting :power Glo54w Hol. Life GloT5 54w I'm assuming it's the best we didnt go with the lighting that came with the tank. It's suppose to be much better. We have the same thing on the Koi tank? Know anything about this lighting?

9. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I LOVE the Power Glo bulbs. I use one on my cichlid tank. I also just ordered two T5 Power Glo's to play with on my saltwater tank. They also sell Plant Grow which may be something you'll want to look into trying.

For planted tanks, the general rule is 2-3 watts per gallon for most plants. Some require more, some less. Too much wattage and you may have to start using co2.

10. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Will look into the plant glo. I had to use regular lighting for the Koi tank when one of my bulbs went out and there is a HUGE difference in lighting. Didnt know if plants would do well with the power glo bulbs so thanks for all the info.

11. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

The Power Glo bulbs are 18k, so they'll work but aren't suitable for all plants.