1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

need help deciding which filter for 55g

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by damnsneakyasian, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:38 pm
    Maybe I had a dud.[

2. MIKEJ0226

MIKEJ0226 New Member

Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:52 pm
    I've never had much luck with the biowheel filters either. Maybe it's the hard water here in AZ that cause them to stop spinning

3. damnsneakyasian

damnsneakyasian Thread Starter New Member

Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:29 pm
    does it start collecting the minerals and that is why the wheel stops?

cause i have hard water where i live (MN) too!

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:10 pm
    Its not an issue of the wheel stopping its the issue of the wheel not really doing a darn thing for you. You are basically buying a trumped up tetratec filter without a biowheel except with a higher price. If you want bio filtration stuff your filter with army men or pot scrubbies, both provide way more surface area than the biowheel gimic.

5. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:11 pm
    What could he do in the canister that the AC wouldn't do ? The media is basically setup the same way, stacked.
    Ahh.... nvm....never paid attention to that.... that is nice

6. damnsneakyasian

Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:44 pm
    what about suspending gravel in a sack in there?! i just thought of that at the top of my head and it sounds like a good idea!

im also going to add filter floss soon.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:35 pm
    anything that has a lot of surface area will do fine, anything from pot scrubbies (the round cheapo things from dollar general that are plastic) to bio balls. Your justlooking for the most surface area for the BB to cling to. The polyester filling for pillows and stuff that you find in craft stores is a lot cheaper and is exactly the same thing as "filter floss" sold in your LFS.

8. damnsneakyasian

Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:15 am
    thanks! filter floss at petsmart wasnt that expensive i think like 3 bucks. if pillow filling is cheaper thats even better! haha!

9. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:03 am
    Yup, I get mine back in Wal-mart's craft department. Be aware some Wal-mart's no longer have craft departmens. The stuff I usually can find is
    a)Morning Glory Low Loft Quilters Polyester Batting that comes in a Purple bag
    (no additives-not flame retardant/mold resistant)
    b)Morning Glory Premium Polyester Fiberfill that comes in a Green bag
    -->I've tried both and found that the Fiberfill releases a strand or so every now and then, whereas the Batting does a better job at filtering and stay's in place much better.

10. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

11. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

I have a bio-wheel on my 10 gal and it's actually a very stable tank foe a 10 gal. In 3 months it's been running I've never had a problem. (it's an old off brand that came with a box of stuff off CL)