1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

need help sexing angelfish

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by WynterNyghtmare, Nov 12, 2009.

1. WynterNyghtmare

WynterNyghtmare Thread Starter New Member

How does one sex freshwater Angels?
    I have four and I'm curious as to who's a boy and who's girl, I'd like to put up some pics but I don't have anything to do so, so some detailed info would help,
    Thank you

2. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

The girls are the ones wearing lipstick!
    In reality Angelfish are hard to sex until they are in breeding condition.
    I could give you a long explanation on venting but it really something you have to see for yourself to understand. That said you just have to wait, they know who's a boy and who's a girl

Rick

3. WynterNyghtmare

Thanks, Guess I'll try and get them to breed, though I'm really not sure on how to do it, Guess it's research time once again lol.

4. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Basically the females tubes look like a "U" and males look like a "V"...

Like Rick said it is VERY hard to tell until you get used to what you need to see... sometimes a female does not have her tube out all the way or even which makes hers look like a "V"

The best way to sex as he said is when they are ready to breed as USUALLY they have their tubes all the way out then... not always though...

The 100% way to sex them.... watch them spawn... and even that is hard to tell because sometimes females will pair and 1 female will pretend to be a male.... sometimes that second female will lay more eggs making the spawn MUCH larger...

If you see a spawn and wait, if they all turn white you either have an inexperience male or 2 females... if there are clearish/pinkish ones... then you have a pair

5. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

If your wanting them to breed I suggest get several young ones...that way you should end up with at least one pair...when they are breeding you'll know!....they typically chase others away and at times will even guard an area (usually where the eggs will be laid).

6. WynterNyghtmare

Okay, well I thought about breeding them and realized that they get aggressive and defensive just like any other good pair of cichlids do, and my Veja Argentea is in the same tank and he's the big man on campus except hes very Docile but never backs down from a fight, and images of him killing my babies started flashing in my head lol. so I guess I'll try and see what lemon was talking about and if I can't tell I guess it's okay... I'll learn some day when I get the money for some more tanks lol and can set up an blackwater display

7. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

It does take some time to understand what I was describing.... IF you get lucky enough to watch a spawn you will see if you look at their tubes...

BTW the breeding tubes are located in their "vent" which is their anus.... They can bring them in or drop them down depending on their mood....

8. WynterNyghtmare

(Sigh) I gave up my Angels to my LFS yesterday, didn't want to but Dots (My Vieja Argentea) has decided to become a big beautiful jerk lol, just as I knew he would, and I deff did not like the idea of selling them, but I had to (sniff)

Thanks for all the Help guys and gals