1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

need help with 125g aquarium/tank stand

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by Anonymous, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I have decided that my tank being taller than me for no real reason is just absurd. The stand literally stands 52" tall. I was wondering if I cannot find a 125 gallon stand tomorrow could I just two 36" stands side by side? Both stands would obviously be the same height, width, etc.

2. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I am also considering building a stand, does anyone know of a website that will design something like this for free or a small nominal fee? If any of you like to do this sort of thing and know more about it than I do, the dimensions are (for the stand not the tank) 76" long X 20" wide x 36 to 40" tall. The tank is a 125 gallon, so what I dont know is what size boards (4x4, 6x6?) will support this weight. A run down of wood sizes and general design tips would be greatly appreciated.

3. crazhrse

crazhrse New Member

i just did a google search dor diy aquarium stands and found alot of great info and how to articles on building a stand ;)

4. crazedpuffer

crazedpuffer New Member

We just built a stand for my 90, I can take some pictures and tell you the size wood and everything to help you out.

5. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Basically I want to know if a my design will hold my tank, six 4x4 legs at 30", and then 2x4s along the top and bottom if that makes sense, connecting the legs.

6. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

That should be fine as long as they are perfectly level so there isn't more strain on one side of the tank.

7. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I am going to get home depot to cut all the wood and prolly spend some time there talking to somene about how to construct this beast.

8. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

You might want to take a look at their "work stands". It might be cheaper in the long run, but I'm not sure. I think one holds like 1000 pounds per shelf or something like that.

9. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

How would that work, I am assuming your talking about a work horse.

10. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Im not sure what they're called, I don't think it's a work horse though. Someone else mentioned it on the forum not long ago.

11. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

O ok well Im going to go wonder aroungd in home depot and see if I can find them.

Also here is a website that will design a stand for you for free.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.fishandtips.com/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.fishandtips.com/index.php</a>

12. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I have decided to deal with the height of the stand, my wallet and I had a discussion on the way to home depot and he convinced me to buy a step ladder.

13. trajik ink

trajik ink New Member

lol, good choice!!! i wouldn't spend more than i have to.

14. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Im going use that money to set up a shelf system under the tank, there about four feet of wasted space.

15. trajik ink

trajik ink New Member

that's a good idea, my sump took all of the space under my tank so i have all my stuff in a rubbermaid until i find a shelf that suits my needs....

16. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

To rememdy that get a stand that is 52" tall and 400 lbs, then invite your short friends over and tease the hell outta them!!

17. trajik ink

trajik ink New Member

18. TowGuyBri

TowGuyBri New Member

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.aquarium-stand-plans.com/aquarium_size_chart.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.aquarium-stand-plans.com/aqu ... _chart.htm</a>

A very inexpesive set of plans can be had there. Probably too late for your venture, but figured I'd post it anyways.

19. CichlidStorm

CichlidStorm Member

wee- too bad your not closer, I have a 20" 125 gallon steel stand I would give you just to get it out of my basement.