1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

need help with cloudy & green water

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by Anonymous, Oct 7, 2008.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

cloudy water
    hey got 110 gallon fish tank and water keeps getting cloudy and a greenish color did water change and still cloudy ......going crazy

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Re: cloudy water

What are your water parameters ?
    How often do you do water changes and what percent do you change ?
    What's your stocking list ?
    What filter(s) are on your tank ?
    What lighting do you have and how long do they stay on ?

3. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Green water is an algae bloom. White water is a bacteria bloom.

Usually green water is under-filtration in addition to large amounts of light entering the tank (high wattage lights or the sun)

Best way to stop green water in the long run is to add plants as they take the nutrients that algae need to live.

White Cloudy water - Stop changing your water so much, your tank is mini-cycling.

Not sure which of these it is but I spent more time on green water as this is what is sounds like

4. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

sounds to me like your overfeeding, underfiltering, and giving too much light to the tank. What are you using to filter it? How long are your lights on? And how often and how much do you feed your fish?

5. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

i got two 60 gallon whispers filters i got three oscars 5 inches ,two red ear sliders 3inches, a pleco i turn the lights on at 8 in morning till 8 at night i feed them twice a day and i got a question what will be the best and cheapest way to change my filtering system what do you guys suggest thanks

6. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I'd upgrade your filters first of all. With the oscars AND turtles in the tank, they surely produce A LOT of waste. I'd pick up 2 canister filters, or 1 canister and a good HOB filter like an AquaClear 110.

What are you feeding them ?

7. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

I agree entirely. Lots of fish/animals that are dirty in a rather small environment together.

8. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

How long before the turtles start eating the oscars? Keep the two hobs, add a large cansiter and another ac110. Your water will look like glass.

9. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

i feed them sansui cichild gold pellets and shrimp pellets i currently trying to get a fluval 405 and i should keep both the whisper will that do the trick