1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

need help with converting from saltwater to freshwater

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by matrixmommy, Mar 19, 2009.

1. matrixmommy

matrixmommy Thread Starter New Member

Converting saltwater tank to fresh?

I have a friend that recently acquired a 46 gallon bow front tank (including everything but fish...for free!) that was used for a saltwater tank originally, but she wants to use it as a freshwater setup. She has thoroughly cleaned the tank and cleaned the filter/pump as best she could. She's putting new gravel and plants in, as well as new filter media. Should she be worried about the tank becoming too salinated from any salt residue left in the filter/pump that she couldn't get? Is there any way to counteract the salt content if it does become too salinated? Any help is appreciated.

2. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Re: Converting saltwater tank to fresh?

No... if she cleaned it the best she could it you should not have a problem... I would replace the filter media but other than that you should not have an issue with anything.

I have myself bought a few filters that were once used on SW and they dont hurt the tank... again, I just cleaned the best I could and then changed filter media

3. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

Wow a free 46 gallon :D

4. matrixmommy

matrixmommy Thread Starter New Member

It as in the office she works at and for some unknown reason their saltwater community died over one weekend. They didn't want to spend the money to set it up again, so they just gave it to her. It's a *REALLY* nice oak-trimmed tank with a stand and everything. I don't know what kind of filter, but the setup looked pretty pricey. Can we say "Jealous much?!" LOL!

5. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I'd agree with Ryan on this one. Rinse the heck out of it and definately replace any media! Don't forget to rinse anything that water went through also! (ie. filter, powerheads, airlines, lift tubes, etc).

If she's super worried and wants to make absolutely sure their is no salinity readings she can get a cheap plastic salinity reader and test it. Allow it to sit overnight with water in it allowing the filter to run empty-if it tests good then she can officially set it up without worries.