1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

need help with diy sponge filter

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by heyfishiesfishies, Feb 16, 2009.

1. heyfishiesfishies

heyfishiesfishies Thread Starter New Member

Sponge Filter
    Hello everyone...i'm trying to make a sponge filter for my 10 gallons tank..but can't seem to find the sponge anywhere. I've been to Lowes, Homedepot, LFS..but no luck. They only have the carwash sponge..which i heard isn't good for making the filter. Please help.

Tim

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Re: Sponge Filter

Can you find the replacement filter inserts for the AquaClear filters ?

3. heyfishiesfishies

heyfishiesfishies Thread Starter New Member

hmm...Thanks Anthony..i'll check it out tommorrow at petsmart.

4. caronsd

caronsd New Member

If you can't find replacement filters I know quite a few websites where sponge filters are only $4 some more some less depending on the size with shipping usually less than 6 dollars. Well worth that kind of money rather than attempting to make one that probably wont work quite as well or possibly harm fish, ie they may be able to get stuck underneath it or the "sponge" material may contain toxic chemicals or something. If you want the site just PM me, I wouldnt call it an advertisement for posting but some might.