1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

need help with green water

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by Leslie, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Leslie

Leslie Thread Starter New Member

Iokay just wanted to make sure. everything is slimy too. thats another thing. I guess where i was gone all day made the condition bad as it is. I rinsed the filter with hot water it was slimy.

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Rinsing the filter doesn't wash away beneficial bacteria.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I am curious as to why the waters green those as stated in the previous post. Just trying to get all the information before helping.

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

It was green from all the food her kid dumped into the tank.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Green food? Green water generally represents an algael bloom, caused by all the excess nutrients in the water. Excess food usually looks like red or brown.

6. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I assume so. I've seen green fish and frog food before.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Ok well sorry I asked two questions. Ill answer them for myself: Yes its by a window and no your dont do weekly water changes. lol, see what happens when you leave me to form my own opinions.

8. Leslie

there are alot of plants in it also. I think it may be a tent off the plants. cause the water isnt green after i did the first change, just merkey.

9. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Plants won't turn the water green.

10. Leslie

I know that silly. i was meaning that since the water is so merkey and had all that fish food it was a tent off the plants. meaning the water looked green but it was just the tent off the plants.

11. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Oh, like a reflection... By the way, it's "tint". ;)

12. Leslie

:) :) omg!! haha now i must laught at myself. i used the wrong tint. haha. wow it has been a long few days. I might figure out how to spell today.

13. noshow discus

noshow discus New Member

rinsed in hot water not same temp as tank kills the good guys

14. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Right, but who does that ? LoL

15. noshow discus

noshow discus New Member

16. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Everything I ever read said to rinse the filter in the tanks old water. Dont use tap if you are on city water as it has chlorine. Chlorine kills the good bacteria. But if you are on well water I guess you would not have chlorine in your water unless you have some water treatment on your well.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Finally... something I am doing right..lol. I rinse mine in cool to room temp tap water (I have good well water) about once a week and they seem to last longer that way instead of waiting til they are visibly dirty and trying to rinse them.

18. Leslie

well i wish i would have known not to rinse off the filter in hot water. I was just trying to get the slime off. I changed all the water and rinsed everything. it smelled so bad. and now another fish has died. This just makes me mad that the person who was watching my kids didnt understand me saying my oldest likes to try to feed the fish, she can open the jars, please watch her and make sure she doesnt dump all the food into the tank. that just really makes me mad.

19. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Washing it in hot water didn't kill the fish, don't worry. Did you put aqua safe in the water when you did the water changes ?

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

It might have, removing all the beneficial bacteria could have caused spikes in water parameters. Did you match the water temp of the new water with the water in the tank?

Also, have you thought about educating your kid on how much to feed the fish, or put the food out of their reach?