1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

need help with hot magnum 250 intake- sucking in fish

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by Anonymous, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Filter suction
    My guppies keep getting sucked into the filter, its a HOT Magnum 250. It happened to one yesterday and one today, its only the females, the male seems to have a little more sense (whats new ;) ) . They are just occupying the tank for the time being so I was wondering if there is anyway to like wrap the uptake in a sponge or anything to combat the weakness of my guppies.

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Yep, they actually sell sponges that go over filter intakes. If you can't find one at the pet store you can pick up one at Lowes or Home Depot. You just have to make sure it's not a thick sponge like you use for dishes, washing cars etc. If you get it from Lowes/Home Depot you'll just have to cut a hole in the middle of it.

3. noshow discus

noshow discus New Member

most of your sponge filters will fit right over the intake tube <extra filtration> and i took a H.O.T. 350 went to lowes and made a spray bar instead of the square diffuser that comes with it , just get some pvc pipe ; drill a few holes in it and cap the end ;then get a piece of suction hose and slip over the ends and suction cups to hold the bar in place helps cut down on current in the tank.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

wow, thats a great idea, the current isnt much of an issue, but I would like for the out hole to be lower in the tank.

5. Dox13

Dox13 Member

You can also take a pantyhose and cut it and take a small rubber band and fasten it to the tube so the guppie can't be sucked up in it and it will also slow the current down. I use either the net bags you can buy in the fish store or I take a piece of netting that I buy in like walmart material section and cut it and put a rubberband around it and it will work too. I always use something in a tank that has a reg filter in it to keep the babies from being sucked up into it.

6. trajik ink

trajik ink New Member

yep, i had a couple of anemones that were getting sucked in my powerheads, i just did what anthony said, i went to the lfs and got some sponge that goes into a h.o.b. filter, cut it to size, made a hole in the middle and slapped it on.
    i haven't had a problem since.