1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

need help with water chemisty problems

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by Anonymous, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

water chemistry issues

Hi everyone,
    I'm new to both the site and fishkeeping. I've posted this in the "Introduce Yourself" area too, so forgive the double posting if you've already read it.
    I major league messed up my first tank by overfeeding three weeks ago. I purchased my starter fish (three platies - M Red Wag, F Sunset, and F Mickey Mouse). The Mickey Mouse had babies the very next day! I saved 12 of the babies before they were gobbled up and that's when the overfeeding started. The tank at that point was only about 5 days old.
    Since then I've been through all kinds of hell trying to save the F Sunset (she's doing remarkably well now), but lost the Mickey Mouse. I replaced her with a M Mickey Mouse. I'm still fighting through some higher levels of nitrites but those are coming down and I've started cycling all over again.
    The second tank currently is cycling with Neon Tetras. Yes, I know, they are bad for cycling a new tank. Didn't find it out until it was too late (Petco also didn't let me know even after I told them I was looking at starter fish, I thought all Tetras were fine). I'm down to two and one is looking bad (started showing some signs of Ich this morning).
    With reference to the first tank, I've been told by two fish sourses to do regular water changes and by two other fish sources to wait for two weeks before doing another change. One week ago I did an 80% change (after finding the nitrites from over feeding through the roof) and added toxivec and 1.5 oz of bacteria. Since then I've had the water rechecked and all levels have come way way down though we're not out of the woods yet. I added another 1.5 oz of bacteria two days ago. I'm going for another check of levels tomorrow. Oh, and am using salt as well.
    I most certainly welcome your opinions. Thanks.
    Karen.

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Re: need help with water chemisty problemsPosted: Fri Aug 29, 20

As I told you via E-mail, daily or every other day water changes should be done to keep the ammonia, nitrites and nitrates at a safe level for the fish while the tank cycles. I'll let everyone else give their opinion on this but everyone should agree.

As for the "bacteria" you're adding. What exactly are you adding ?

3. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Unfortunately dunno what the name of the bacterial is. It was from the stock of the owner of the fish store. She didn't want to have to sell me a huge bottle for the little that she thought I needed.

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Sorry, I meant the name of the product. The only product with actual live bacteria that helps cycle a take is BioSpira. Using BioSpira basically eliminates the cycling process. Any product that isn't refrigerated is just a waste.

5. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

That name sounds familar. It may have been that. I'll try to remember to ask when I stop in today to have my water tested.

6. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Okay. ;)

7. noshow discus

noshow discus New Member

hey peace just a kind of FYI when you use fish to cycle with get the feeders usually run you about a dollar for 10, rosie reds are the common around here

8. YellowCichlid

YellowCichlid New Member

Water changes are a must when cycling

If it was bio spira your tank wouldn't go through a cycle and wouldn't have chemistry problems, it would be perfect in the very beginning if used properly