1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Need info on saltwater tanks

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fish Forum' started by California Cowgirl, Feb 2, 2009.

1. California Cowgirl

California Cowgirl Thread Starter New Member

ok, i've got my puffer in a saltwater tank, and i'm thinking about giving him away and start a real saltwater tank. I recently bought a marine test lab kit and have no idea how to use it or read it.

If i don't give my puffer away i would like to try him on corals and stuff with other fish, but if i do give him away for sure want corals, and hoping that if he is fed enough he won't eat the fish or corals.

I have a 20 gal tank, which i heard it's harder to keep stable in a smaller tank, but it's all i have room for.

I don't have a lot of money so this will be a slow project when i have the spare cash. So my main question is what kind of equipment would i need to invest in, what kind of corals would do best in a little 20gal, and what kind of fish should i buy if i try to keep the puffer, or give him away.

Any help would be usefull

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

First you need to have your salinity at 1.025ish. Your puffer will eat the corals no matter how much you feed him.

All that being said you will need T5 or Metal Halide lighting, a high quality protein skimmer, live rock, live sand. You'll also at the very least need calcium, magnesium, and strontium additives.

3. California Cowgirl

ok, thanks for the info looks like i'll be giving my puffer away, and i'll check my salinity in a little bit, and this saltwater tank will deff be a work in progress cause i've seen some of the prices at the petstore, and they are pretty high, so i guess i'll have to save some money

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Good luck. If you think of any other questions please feel free to ask.

5. California Cowgirl

also would any of these skimmers work, i'm hoping i wouldn't have to buy the one thats $100

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.petsmart.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=protein%20skimmer&origkw=protein%20skimmer&sr=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.petsmart.com/search/index.js ... immer&sr=1</a>

6. California Cowgirl

thanks, i'm sure i'll be needing it once i get this thing going

7. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

The Seaclone Protein Skimmer from Aquarium Systems would work but not the other two.

8. California Cowgirl

ok, when i have the money i guess i'll try to look at ebay or craigslist to try to find a cheaper price on it

9. California Cowgirl

and was this the T5 lighting you had mentioned <a class="postlink" href="http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3060839" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... Id=3060839</a>

10. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Similar, yes.

11. California Cowgirl

and i see that the pic of the box shows that it is raised, would the tank be ok with having an open top

12. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Yes, myself and many others run open top tanks.

13. California Cowgirl

ok, and when it eventually comes time to be able to put new fish in the tank, what kind of fish would work in a 20 gal, i was thinking maybe a pair of clownfish, and would i also need crabs and stuff like that that i've seen people on here have in their bigger tanks

14. California Cowgirl

and i've also been hearing talk on here about powerheads, would i need one for a tank my size, and if i do need one, would this one work for a 20 gal <a class="postlink" href="http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752655#RatingsDetail" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... ingsDetail</a>

15. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

You will likely need one and yes that one will work. I have one myself and like it.

16. lostanime

lostanime New Member

The seaclone gets some pretty ugly reviews. For a tank this size, you may also want to look up skimmers for nano tanks - equipment marketed for nano tanks (<30gal) tend to be much more affordable then gear for their larger cousins.

Craigslist is great for finding some gear (pumps, powerheads, heaters, skimmers, etc)... but make sure you price out the cost of bulbs if you want to buy a light fixture online, because PC/T5/MH bulbs normally shift out of their calibrated spectrum and wont grow coral after 7-18 months of normal use, despite still lighting the tank brightly... it would be worth starting with fresh bulbs instead of just trusting someone telling you that the bulbs "are only a month old!" or the like.

If you do frequent water changes and dont go buck-wild with stuffing the tank full of hard corals, calc/alk/mag additives may not be necessary. If your planning on keeping lots of corals, or some of the faster ones you'll almost definitely need additives. Dont add anything to your water that you aren't testing because it's not hard to overdose given enough time and will cause you alot of grief!

17. California Cowgirl

thanks you guys for all the help it's very usefull to me as i know nothing about true saltwater tank, i'm stll up in the air about decided to give my puffer away and start a real saltwater tank, which i would love to have (of any size) but my only thing is the cost, and if i do go ahead and do this i don't know if i want to stuff the tank as much, and since i won't be able to that many fish in a 20 gall i would probably want some good looking corals if i can find some that are affordable (for me) but i still don't want to overstuff the tank

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

i myself run a corlife super skimmer. it's not the best but do as good as a $300 skimmer. i did do a few mod on the pump. for lighting, depending on wat u want to keep. soft coral and zoa will do fine under PC lighting, but if u want to go for the sps such and such than u will want to invest into MH or T5. running a sump is another good way to keep your water level. red mangrove tree or algae plant can be a plus to help lower nitr and pho. in order to really help u on your project is the tell us wat your looking to raise in your tank(coral,fish,inver). clean up crew is a must have for any tank(hermit crab, snail, etc...), but dont overstock on them because if u do than they will run out of food and tear each other apart for food. let us know wat your plan r that way we can help so u dont end up spending lots of money on unnecessary equipment.

19. lostanime

lostanime New Member

It's funny you should mention that... I'm running a coralife (needlewheel) super skimmer as well. Within the first 8 months the pump went out and started dumping electricity in the tank. Currently we're running a much stronger pump and a kent 1/2" turbo venturi pipe on the intake side, along with cutting the pressure regulator off the outlet and we slipped a 1.5" pipe over it to do a riser outlet (it produces much more and much darker skimmate now) I digress though.

Mangroves are awesome. Right now we're growing the macro-algae "chaeto" in our refugium to consume nitrates, along with a deep sand bed (5+) for anaerobic bacteria to convert nitrate to nitrogen gas, and under stocking. Nitrates can really be a battle - since it causes ugly algae growth AND stresses the fish. There are alot of great saltwater options to lower and maintain nitrates more aggressively then freshwater tanks can, but saltwater inhabitants (particularly certain corals) demand lower levels then most freshwater critters.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

so it's not just. thought my pump was not working right so i change it into a different pump(forgot wat the brand are). i took out the both the clear tub and the grey pipe in the mid and use some pvc pipe for it. the air go in before the pump so it work better. these skimmer are crap but with a little mod it's a whole different stroy.
    i found that mangrove do a way better job and look so much cleaner and nicer. chaeto sometime release waste back into the water it u dont trim it down, but for mangrove, they just grow taller and trim as u need them which ever height u want. but nothing wrong with chaeto or other algae. i use them when i first found out about them and they do there job, but i just like a more of a cleaner sump/refugium.